1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Conservative TV Group to Air Anti-Kerry Film

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jrawles, Oct 9, 2004.

1. jrawles

jrawles New Member

For the source of my ire please see the below link:
    http://www.latimes.com/business/la-na-sinc...-home-headlines
    On the front page of the LA Times this morning is what my stomach sensed was coming: Sinclair Broadcasting "is ordering its stations to preempt regular programming just days before the Nov. 2 election to air a film that attacks Sen. John F. Kerry's..."

This is wrong and misuse of the public airways but we let it happen. When the FCC relaxed ownership rules and permitted larger and larger media conglomerates this is what we get. This is not the same as Michael Moore's film because his was not broadcast into our homes on the public airwaves. We made a choice to pay $9.00 to go to a theater to see the film. If this hijacking of the radio waves goes unchallenged it will be a great injustice. Yet, even the challenge will give the GOP (Gang of Plutocrats) an opportunity to make policitical hay I fear. For they will call us "flip floppers": we're in favor of political commentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" but against "Stolen Honor". Never mind the critical difference of how its presented to the American Public. This is the crux of many of the issues and unfortunately a layer of complexity that cannot be summed up in five second sound bites and thus incomprehensive to a large portion of the electorate.

This is taken from Sinclairs home page:
    http://www.sbgi.net/

Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. is one of the largest and most diversified television broadcasting companies in the country today. Sinclair owns and operates, programs, or provides sales services to 62 television stations in 39 markets.

Sinclair's television group includes 20 FOX, 19 WB, 6 UPN, 8 ABC, 3 CBS, 4 NBC affiliates and 2 independent stations and reaches approximately 24% of all U.S. television households.

Sinclair's news franchise includes 37 of its stations which air local news in 31 markets.