1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Conservatives finding new direction

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

In my daily reading of conservative rags I am noticing a gelling of thoughts. Two in fact. In another thread I have posted how neocons are abandoning hope of victory in Iraq and fleeing their commander in chief and his unpopular and misguided beliefs.

In this thread I urge you to pay attention to right wing media coverage of Hillary. Neocons dread and fear her to their core. Now they are latching onto Obama as the anti-Hillary and promoting him as a good alternative. Why would the opposition party endorse an opposing candidate? Fear of the alternative. While I like what little I know of Obama, I know in my heart that when the opposition fears a candidate, that is most likely the best candidate for me. When they showcase another opposition candidate it tells me volumes about the first...

Today I am too rushed to document my observations but if challenged you know I can and will.

2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 1 2006, 12:29 PM) [snapback]356259[/snapback]</div>
    Frankly I have been surprised at how someone with such little experience as Obama can be a serious contender.He hasn't accomplished much ,if anything,and his main attribute is that he has huge charisma.
    When I think of all the things John Kerry has done in his career ,its embarrassing to compare the 2.
    You have seen the rightwing media promoting him to dilute Hillarys strength?Id be very interested in a link.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 1 2006, 09:29 AM) [snapback]356259[/snapback]</div>
    OK, please name which neocon is promoting Obama and for what, President?

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/11/27/175749.shtml

Wildkow

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The key sentence of the above story:

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Dec 2 2006, 06:31 AM) [snapback]356647[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the key is that Kerry is in dead last place. :p Much more relevant and current to the situation today.

Wildkow

6. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

For starters
    http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MTBiY...TkwNzcyZjk0NzA=
    The Obama Opening Dems can make a clean break from the Clintons.

Flavia has been a commentator for Fox News Channel, appearing on shows such as Hannity & Colmes and Fox & Friends. She is currently a commentator for MSNBC and CNBC, appearing on Scarborough Country, the Dennis Miller show, Lester Holt Live, The Situation with Tucker Carlson, and Harball with Chris Mathews.
    If I was a betting woman, I'd put my money on Obama. First, he's is setting himself up as the real progressive to counter Hillary's centrist, Democratic Leadership Council tendencies. While Hillary once sat on the board of Wal-Mart, Obama has staked his claim as a leader against the discount chain's lack of labor protections and community involvement.

Flavia says: While Hillary strives to be seen as strong on national security by refusing to admit the war in Iraq was a mistake, Obama doesn't run from his anti-war credentials. While Hillary cozies up to corporate titans like Rupert Murdoch, raising big money, Obama has become a leader on ethics reform,

http://www.insightmag.com/
    Hillary worried over rise of Obama
    Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton believes her biggest obstacle to winning the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 2008 could be Sen. Barack Obama

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whenever I ask, I get a different list of people considered "neocons". Usually, the VP is included, as well as folks like Bill Kristol of the Weekly Standard and George Will. As far as I can tell, they have had three different opinions on the war all along; the VP is a fan of "staying the course", Kristol has long been a critic calling for the firing of Rumsfeld and "going big" in Iraq with doubling the troops, and George Will has, IIRC, opposed the war from the beginning.

As far as Obama and Hillary are concerned, I like Obama as a fresh face, and the press is always looking for the new, fresh face. Does he have enough experience? Probably. The next Democrat administration is likely to look a lot like the last one (if you look back, Carter used plenty of people from the Johnson administration, and the two Bush Presidents borrowed heavily from the Reagan administration).

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 2 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]356758[/snapback]</div>
    The Lowry article talks about Obama but does not promote or endorse him as a presidential candidate. Maybe I misunderstood the orginial post. If anything Lowry points out that Obama has no credentials/experience to be President. That being said I think Obama will also be a candidate in 08 but please don’t read this as a promotion or endorsement just an observation.

Wildkow

p.s. The second article requires a subscription, something I usually don't do for any online media even if it is free. Just two old-school I guess.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 2 2006, 02:43 PM) [snapback]356770[/snapback]</div>
    To me Lowry's article sounds highly promotional towards Obama. I'd list some quotes, but practically the whole article sounds like that. I don't see how you don't see that.

10. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Dec 2 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]356846[/snapback]</div>
    The first and second paragraph does not mention Obama at all. It only covers the Clinton-Bush era and the reasons why there is so much negativity associated with those names.

Obama is mention in the third paragraph as the only name up that has any palpable excitement behind it and the only reason is because it is not associated with Bush-Clinton.

The fourth and fifth paragraphs don’t mention Obama at all. The fourth covers why Hillary is not a good candidate and the fifth covers why Jeb Bush is sitting out a Presidential bid in 08.

The sixth paragraph does mention that only sweetness and light are associated with the Obama name mainly because 1) he is a creation of the media (something most pol’s have to spend millions to achieve) and 2) he has no record of accomplishment but that once and if he does in the next two years he will probably be as unappealing as the rest of the hopefuls in the 08 election.

The seventh paragraph points out that Obama has a pure 100% liberal voting record. Not a really good endorsement as it would seem that he should have some votes more towards the center or right if he wants to convince the independent conservatives to vote for him. It does point out that he has charisma and is able to “speak the language of religious believers in a non-focus-group-tested, genuine way.†But also points out that some of this sheen will be lost when he announces his candidacy.

The last paragraph mentions Obama but only in the context as to why he is on the national stage not as an endorsement.

I don't see it because its not there does the paragraph by paragraph synopsis help? Because from what I see there are 8 paragraphs Obama is mentioned in 4. The entire article never says Barack Obama should/would/ or could be a good president. In fact the first paragraph where he is mention says the reason he is on the stage is because his last name is Obama not Bush or Clinton. The second says more negative things about him than good (i.e. lack of experience/accomplishments, is only a media creation and with two more years in the senate will be as unappealing as the rest of the senatorial candidates.) The last two paragraphs mentions that he has a 100% liberal voting record (see above comment) and the rest points out that he has charisma that is not bought or faked, does not seem noxiously partisan, is willing to say that republicans are wrong, not evil. These are all positive things to say about him I guess but not one of them could be construed as promoting or endorsing his candidacy.

Which article did you read? ;)

Wildkow

11. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 3 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]356915[/snapback]</div>
    You went to an awful lot of work to avoid the obvious. Saying positive things about him == promotion.

12. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Dec 3 2006, 08:09 AM) [snapback]356962[/snapback]</div>
    Therefore, saying negative things == non-promotion, non-endorsement. All in all a fairly balanced report but still not an endorsement or promotion. Besides this is only one article and I welcome Hillary as a candidate for the 08 election because IMO she will never make it to the Oval Office.

Wildkow

13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dragonfly @ Dec 3 2006, 08:09 AM) [snapback]356962[/snapback]</div>
    Do you really think so?

I like Obama, based on his speeches. I don't support him, and wouldn't vote for him unless his opponent was even farther from my views, but I like him. (But then, I liked Clinton in the same way, and never voted for him).

If I were to write an Op-ed article about Obama, I would want to frame it exactly the way NRO did, with explanations of the man and why he appeals to Democrats. I don't see that as promotion as much as analysis form a single writer's point of view.

I do think that Obama is in the "puff" stage of his ascendency, where the press will give him a pass. I don't think he is like black "novelty" candidates that the press gives a pass to (did Jesse Jackson really deserve to be on stage in a debate with the top two Dem candidates a few years ago?) The "novelty" candidates never really get the tough questions, because they have no chance of winning, and no one wants to appear mean. But because Obama is already a Senator, and actually has a chance, individual reporters will be eager to find some dirt on him that can make their name in the business regardless of their own personal political beliefs.

14. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the link.The right wing promotion reminds me of the GOPs 2004 financial support for Nader,purely as an election spoiler .
    Funny that Alan Keyes is featured on the National Reviews website.Part of the reason Obama is being taken so seriously is because he won his seat with a huge 75% of the vote .
    Obamas GOP opponent had withdrawn right before the election and was replaced by Alan Keyes at the last minute.

15. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mojo @ Dec 4 2006, 03:00 PM) [snapback]357476[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. Obama's opponent, Jack Ryan, got into something of a scandal. His divorce papers revealed that Jeri Ryan (Star Trek's Seven of Nine) said her then-husband Jack took her on three "surprise trips" in the spring of 1998 to New Orleans, New York and Paris, during which he took her to sex clubs. He wanted her to have sex with him there with another couple watching. More moral values from Republicans. The Alan Keyes - Obama race was really quite entertaining. The Republicans imported Keyes from out-of-state, 3 months before the election, and Keyes had no real campaign budget, so he kept saying outrageous things to get on the news. We had a lot of fun watching it here in Illinois.

16. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Dec 4 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]357511[/snapback]</div>
    There are plenty of Republicans who are social libertarians, such as one of only two "officially declared" candidates for Pres in 2008, Michael Charles Smith (a pro-choice, pro-science, pro-drug decriminalization and pro-gay marriage candidate). I give his chance of making it through the primaries as 22:1 because there's 22 other candidates that are being considered. But, back to Jack and Jeri, what they decide to do as a married couple, even with people watching, doesn't "phase" me (inside Star Trek joke!)

Alan Keyes, however, was probably not making up that outrageous stuff: he really believes it, and he was saying it in the Republican primaries in 2000 (he was a candidate for the Rep. nomination for President). He's a good public speaker, and he gets the ultra conservative wing stirred up, but I hate to see all that energy wasted on such a lost cause.