1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Conservatives for Gas Tax? (The Prius and the Olive Tree)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bookrats, May 28, 2004.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

There's an article on Slate.com (republished on msnbc.com) that a number of conservative columnists (Charles Krauthammer, Andrew Sullivan, etc.) are pushing for a 50 cents-a-gallon gas tax.

Question: I'm not familiar with the converservative/liberal nature of columnists -- I try to avoid news sources with specific political slants, and stick to reporting as much as possible (NPR, etc.). Are these guys fairly major to-the-right columnists/writers?

I tend to think of Slate as not-as-objective-as-I'd-like, so I'm wondering if the author has really got a hold of something, or whether it's wishful thinking.

2. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I think the article said that Sullivan has been _hammering away for a gas tax_ for the last several weeks. That sounds less like a "gotcha" by a liberal site, and more like Sullivan is actually in favor of a gas tax.

do not know though, haven't visited his site in awhile.

3. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Taken from Sullivan's blog:
    "KRAUTHAMMER ON GAS: I was only kidding when I said that "you read it here first" in mentioning Charles Krauthammer's sane endorsement of a gas tax. Both he and Gregg Easterbrook have been in support of this for a long, long time, and didn't need any prompting from yours truly. In fact, Charles was advocating this as far back as the mid-1980s, when it might have made a real difference. He was ignored then. He'll be ignored today. But he's still right."