1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering 2010 w/ 87K miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by joe mamma, Apr 10, 2013.

1. joe mamma

joe mamma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I drive about 20-30k/year and I need to change something. It looks like a Prius w/ 50mpg will pay for itself, if I can get it cheap enough. I found a cheap one ($12-13K) from a toyota dealer w/ 87K miles. I looked up the records w/ the toyota owner's site & it had front differential oil changed at 30K, but I didn't see any other diff. fluid change after. It seems to be a lease return single owner & all oil changes around 10K miles.

It seems pretty safe to me, but what do you guys think?

Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks for your time!

2. joe mamma

joe mamma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One more concern, I also saw this on the service history, should I be concerned? Only happened once & at 45K miles:

7/11 45K miles - DRIVEABILITY
    DRIVEABILITY ~|~CUSTOMER STATES CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM ON AT DASH.. VEHICLE LOS T ALL POWER WHILE DRVING ON FREEWAY. ~|~PERFORMED HEALTH CHECK FOUND P0AOF AND P3190 ENGINE FUEL LEVEL LOW. ONE BAR SHOWING BEFORE EMPTY. ~|~ADDED FUEL, CLEARED CODES AND TEST DROVE VEHICLE

3. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like it ran out of fuel at some point while on the expressway.

The danger from this is in the MG2 spinning faster than it is designed to. Generally though, if it was just the short time taken to get from highway speeds down to stop, and it was only the once, it is probably fine. (This, incidentally, is also why you don't want to tow it with the front wheels spinning)

4. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This looks like a good opportunity to me.

Who is selling it? Dealer, lease company?

5. joe mamma

joe mamma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Toyota dealer is selling it, which makes me feel even better.

6. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think you mean MG1 (the starter/generator)

7. joe mamma

joe mamma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I kind of did the deal. They didn't have the car ready for sale (smog & safety inspection weren't completed). I signed the contract & when the car is ready & I test drive it, I can refuse the contract or not take possession of the car. I saw it & even though it was dirty, it looked immaculate! The only thing wrong is the mileage is high and the drive seat foam on the exit is a little limp. I got the car for $12.9 & retail KBB is $15-16 (I'm not sure if it's a PII or PIII). I'm so happy, I'll be in the 200mile club in a few years!

8. Kzooman

Kzooman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats, bought my 2010 last year with 60k miles, no regrets a year later

9. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Awesome deal, I would have jumped on it too. I just bought a 2010 with 86K on it, and as-is for $14K out the door. It needed new wipers all around, air and cabin filter, and a minor valve gasket leak (haven't taken it in yet for that). Word of advice I got from the guys on here....change the ATF as soon as you can. I just changed mine today, and the old stuff came out black, like oil. Get some nice new red stuff in there and have smooth sailing for the next 10 years!!! :)

10. wheelsup

wheelsup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We bought ours at 42k have 61k on it now, no issues. I don't know what prices are to be honest, if that is good or not, but I will say people are scared of them the higher in mileage they go so prices drop off fast.

At 45k and now at 87k I would say if any issues were to have happened because of the loss of power you would have seen something by now.

$15k-$16k for that car is WAY too high I don't know what KBB is smoking.