1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a GEN2 for kid's car.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by farmecologist, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I have been active in other forums around here for quite some time. We currently have a 2010 Gen3 that we originally purchased for our daughter to drive. The original plan was to also have our son share the car with her but I can see now that may not be the best option due to schedules and such.

So we may be in the market for a cheap GEN2. Seems like it might also be a fun project car. So a few questions..

1. How are GEN2's for oil consumption? Our 2010 has the infamous oil consumption issue and has been manageable....but annoying to say the least.

2. Should I look for one that has had the battery replaced or just go ahead and get a cheap one that is in otherwise good condition? It looks to me like non-OEM battery replacements/kits are readily available in Gen2-land...correct?

3. The Gen2's have the fuel bladder..correct? Any issues?

4. The Gen2's do NOT have an EGR system..correct? The EGR system is proving to be a point of possible long term maintenance issues in the Gen3's with high mileage.

5. Any other Gen2 maintenance issues I should be aware of vs the Gen3?

I could probably find some of this info myself but though I would ask you gurus here who probably have the most up to date info. Thanks in advance!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there aren't any major gen 2 oil consumption problem that i know of. not sure what you mean by non oem batteries/kits, but unless you plan a lot of tinkering, i'd go new.
    fuel bladder sometimes creates a fueling problem and makes it difficult to know how much gas is in the tank.

farmecologist likes this.
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2. it all depends on the price. If the original battery was replaced with a refurb I would give that $0 value as a used battery will fail sooner rather than later. The only alternative with new cells (that I am aware of) is 2k1toaster's kit.

Prodigyplace, farmecologist and bisco like this.
  4. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here are my experiences, so I can only speak for myself.:

1. I have 285,000 miles on my 2005. It burns zero oil. I do oil/filter changes religiously.
    2. Can you do your own work? If so, you can resurrect most traction batteries over a week end. If not, then look for a less expensive car and replace the traction battery with a new/rebuilt one from a reputable seller. I have had only one module failure in the last 13 years on this car.
    3. Yes, mine does have a bladder fuel tank. At times the fuel gauge shows about 2gal less than what is in the bladder.. It may be odd, but I like that, it keeps the better half filling the tank before it gets so low that she runs out of gas.
    4. Correct.
    5. Headlights fog, you'll likely replace or polish the existing headlight assemblies.

Wouter73 and farmecologist like this.
  5. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    All 5 gen 2's of my personal experience have been rock soild. And all of them have burned oil as well. The gen 2 usally burn oil past 150,000 but its manageable, they don't get out of control oil burning like the gen 3. Or as some people on here say "turd gen" :)

6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did too.

A couple of years ago, I started researching for our kids. I was looking for one in terrific shape mechanically but knowing I would eventually need to replace the battery if being kept long term. I have since replaced it with a new Toyota battery for $2500 but now there's a cheaper aftermarket alternative @ $1600.

Speaking from a purely financial standpoint, I'll be honest and say figuring in that extra cost (especially for a new Toyota battery) can make the decision tougher for the average person; however, I'm mechanically inclined and a DIY type so messing around with it wasn't as big of a deal as it might be for others. I will say that I would have jumped on the $1600 option in a heartbeat if available at the time.

Besides fuel economy and reliability of the Prius, there are many things like overall safety (we're talking new drivers here), features (back up camera, cruise control, rear wiper, etc) that many used cars in the same price range don't have; even the price leader new econoboxes lack some of these. In my area, used cars that can reasonably match the Prius at the same price range typically have a ton of miles (higher end corollas and civics for example). There are a ton of used Pri on the market but many of them are "used up" IMO. With gas prices being low for so long, it's a buyers market so keep that in mind as you'll find some Prius owners are very, very proud of their old steeds! :LOL:

Finally, having a good safety (inter)net in the form of PriusChat and other online sources has given me the reassurance that in case something does go wrong I'll have a good understanding of the situation and how best to deal with it. (y)

Speaking of safety, I STRONGLY suggest looking into cell phone control technology for new drivers. We're using Stop Texting While Driving | Texting While Driving Solution and, so far, highly recommend it. Quite simply, it works. (y)

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Seeing it's for a Son, I would get something like a beater Corolla or Civic for a lot less money...initially and to repair. On average, young males have about +3 wrecks before they get the hang of things. Ever wonder why their insurance rates are so much higher than for the girls?

#7 frodoz737, Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  8. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Thanks all for the replies. Interesting about the lack of an EGR system in the Gen2's. At this point I almost think of that as a benefit compared to the Gen3's because of all the problems people seem to be having with them fouling up, etc..

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  9. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
  10. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd try to get em down at least 500 on the price since it had a salvage title.

With that little miles its new in prius terms! Great car overall

11. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Dang I just remembered that the Gen2 has a belt driven water pump...correct? So not a 'beltless' design like Gen3. Not a huge deal but the 'beltless' design of Gen3+ is certainly a plus.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Correct;).

Each gen has their pluses and opportunities:(.

Good luck hunting (y).

farmecologist and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  13. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well with the Gen 3, if the cooling pump starts slowly failing like one of the plastic blades break you won't know till the engine is overheating.

I personaly like the old fashioned metal one in the gen 2 and the belt only cost $10.

14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had my 2008 Prius ten years and never changed or tightened the belt. I always thought about it though. lol
    HID headlights were the weakest spot on mine, used on the higher models only though.
    Never any oil used between oil changes and no leaks anywhere ever.
    Never toughed the A/C
    Front strut failure at 99,000 miles
    Changed right front wheel bearing because it was noisy.
    Best car I ever owned.

15. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    He says he is firm on the price 'for now'. I'm in no hurry so I'll see what he says about that. He is getting the hail damage pics to me soon. The hail issue certainly isn't optimal. However, looking at their inventory ( "Stillwater auto sales - Oakdale" ) it looks like they must specialize in hail damaged vehicles.

Finding a Gen2 with miles this low is difficult around here so I can definitely overlook the hail damage if it isn't too bad.

Raytheeagle and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  16. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hail damage? It's a perfect time to learn "Dentless Paint Removal." That's a skill that will serve you well in the Midwest! I had the opportunity in River Fall Wisconisn when my three cars were parked in three different areas of the town when the hail came. It destroyed all three with varied amounts of damage due to where they were parked. The insurance company totaled all three and I bought them back and bought a paintless dent removal kit and learned a lot. The job I did on the cars was far from perfect but those cars served me well, one for another 15 years. Don't let an opportunity to learn go to waste.

valde3 and farmecologist like this.
  17. Fredsimm

Fredsimm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    My situation is backwards. My daughter talked me into a Prius for my wife. 5 grand for one like you are considering. No regrets. It had 150k miles. Mint condition. One of the best car decisions I've ever made.

18. Aaron Vitolins

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You've got a smart daughter!

19. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Found another one that looks like it was extremely well taken care of (by the dealer). Not sure of price yet but the maintenance records on the carfax are pretty immaculate. Only has 66K miles.

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=JTDKB20U483330140

Couple things I noticed...

33,857 miles - Water pump replaced?? Why so early? Seems odd?
    39,994 miles - Water pump replaced again?? Seems really odd!
    44,483 miles -Tires replaced
    51,644 miles - Front brake rotors/pads replaced...again seems odd.

It looks to me like whoever owned this may have fell into the 'dealership maintenance' trap. This bodes well for the buyer though.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hail damage is a great car for kids. what you lack in looks, you make up for inspiration. and that is more important to me for my children.

Raytheeagle and farmecologist like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.