1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Prius purchase...quick question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by drmugavero, Jan 17, 2008.

1. drmugavero

drmugavero New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm 6'2" tall (mostly leg length... 34" inseam). Will I fit comfortably in a Prius? Thanks!

2. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That totally depends on your body morph and definition of "comfortably".

There have been complaints from very tall people about comfort.

I'm only 5'10" but I sit higher in a seat than my 6' son. So, you need to test drive. And not just a 5 minute dealer test drive. I recommend renting one from Hertz and living with the car for a day or two. Take it on a nice long 1 hour road trip and see how you feel.

I drive mine on 2 1/2 hour trips with no issues.

3. wowser

wowser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm the same exact hight/proportion and I fit in. The first week I had the car it felt a little cramped compared to my previous car, but now I am so used to it I don't notice. Once I get my legs in the right position, I'm quite comfortable.

4. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    since the prius has no sunroof avail I bet you'll fit just fine.

if it had a sunroof that would be a different question.

either way, don't expect an adult to fit behind the driver's seat if you're 6'2"

and the idea about a long test drive is a great idea, especially if you've never owned a toyota or a compact car before.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Disagreed. My 5'10" daughter fits behind it quite well. And that's with the driver's seat back all the way.

Drmugavero, I'm 6'4", also with a 34" inseam, and I'm OK with it. My only complaint about seating comfort is a lack of thigh support; I wish the seat bottom had a height adjustment. I make up for it with an Obus Forme seat. It seems to do the trick. I made a 2000 mile trip this past summer, and as long as I took a break every hour or two to stretch my legs, I did fine.

6. Pinan

Pinan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Another 6'2" x 34 here. Comfortable in the Prius. But yes...better (longer) thigh support would be good. Better lumbar support as well.

7. BIGGDOGG

BIGGDOGG New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am 6'4" and I still get 3" left of head room. I have been on a 5hr road trip in mine and didn't feel cramped at all during the duration. The only thing that ever happened (and this was only once) When I turned the wheel sharp the Cruise control came on.....But I found Out that it was due to me Slouching in my seat. I didn't sit back all the way. The Tipical Jersey driving(swang) haha........
    Get it, it is totally worth it..

An adult does fit in the back seat even when the front seats are slid back all the way. I have had people back there plenty of times and they all comment on how much room they have. It was more room than what my last car (Pathfinder) gave....

8. DrYou

DrYou New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm 6'2 205lbs and love my Prius, it's bigger then it looks.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the rear leg room in a Prius is more than the Explorer, Camry and a whole host of other vehicles.

to qualify for consideration as a taxi, rear legroom must meet a minimum and the Prius does qualify.

10. tbirdhs

tbirdhs Tbirdhs

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For me the issue is not the room inside , thats plentiful. I have had 3 back operations and don't bend in the middle or twist as an average person. So the only dificulty I have is getting out around the center pillar. I am 6 foot and 240. Would be nice if they had put height adj or adj lumbar, but seat is more comfy than our 03 CRV.

11. ebsmythe

ebsmythe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I also am 6'-4 and have no trouble with headroom once I am sitting in the seat. My trouble is that if I sit on the seat first and then bring my head inside, the back of my head scrapes the top of the door opening every time.
    This method would probably be a good way to go bald if it were done every day.

I have changed the way I enter the car. I now get in head first, put my weight on my forearm on the center pedestal, and then twist as I swing my rear into the car. This sounds complicated but it is easy. My friend has a 2007 Chrysler which is far worse. I have no hope of getting into the passenger seat without using the head first method.

I recently drove my Prius from South Bend to Toronto in one day. I used a Brookstone seat pad (recommended in PC by someone in an earlier post ) and still had enough head room. It was over 10 hours with no discomfort at all. My thanks go to the person who posted that idea.

When I travel to Vancouver and take a cab from the airport, I often find a Prius cab is up for my turn (there are multi Prius cabs there). My head definitely runs hard aground on the roof of the car when I sit in the back seat. Lots of leg room though.

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    6'3" here and no problems. I admit that I liked the extra room I had in an '87 Jeep Cherokee, but what th' heck...