1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Prius Purchase

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LeslieS, Feb 25, 2005.

1. LeslieS

LeslieS New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I met a friendly Prius owner at a dealership today while waiting in the service department. She explained a lot about her Prius and offered to let me read her manual while we were waiting. In two hours, I could really only skim through it but questions came to mind. I am short and weigh not much over 100lb. The air bag system sounds almost dangerous for small people. I can't get the recommended distance from the steering wheel and reach the pedals! There seems to be almost an overkill in buzzers. Would the silly things really go off if I leave the car running (passenger waiting) and get out? Can the air bag systems be modified for small people or children?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The buzzers/bells annoy some people, but for the most part aren't a big deal. If you leave the car with the fob in you pocket you'll hear 3 quiet external beeps and that's it. The people in the car hear nothing and the car will run/operate as if you were still in it. This is for the SKS specifically, for non-SKS cars it's a non issue.

We've got a couple small folks that frequent this forum who can probably address the air bag safety issue, but I believe that they're rated safe for people over 100 lbs. I do not think they can be readily modified.

3. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

I am pleased to hear that you are considering the Prius as your next car. They truly are great automobiles. I am absolutely in love with mine.

As for your questions, short is relative... if you are significantly under 5' tall getting your feet on the pedals whilst maintaining a safe distance from the steering wheel might be a challenge. You could consider having the pedals built up a bit to allow you to sit farther back from the steering column. Also, the Prius does have a tilt steering wheel so you can modify the wheel's position for your comfort and safety.

I am 5'4 1/2", and although that is not technically short, it is definitely not tall and I find that I have no difficulty getting my feet on the pedals and keeping my body safely 10" away.

Incidentally, when I first brought my car home (all of 21 days ago) I spent a few hours that night reading everything in my owner's packet (manual, warranties - Toyota and Tires) and, if this had been the first time I had ever read an owner's manual I would have been scared silly of this car. The way it is written you can get the impression that the car is pretty much lying in wait to take you out at its earliest opportunity.

Fortunately, this is not my first ever car (although it is my first ever brand spankin' new car :) and I was not unduly frightened by the caveats.

Like any auto equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) or "Airbags", you are told to be at least 10" away from the bag to ensure that you are less likely to be injured by the airbag deployment. Personally, I don't find that the Prius is significantly different in this respect than any other new vehicle you may find.

My best advice is that you find one that you can sit in and test out. See if the seat works for you, see how the pedal distance actually is, actually drive it and I am reasonably sure that you will find that most of your concerns will be addressed satisfactorily and you may find that you are happily seated in your next car.

If you are every anywhere near Claremont, California I would be happy to introduce you to my car (or to the dealership where I got my car) and you could see for yourself.

Good luck and take care,

Tisza

4. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you're anywhere near Claremont, you can see two Prius ;).

Also, it seems to me that short people have an issue in most cars. Certainly some cars have the advantage of the adjustable steering wheel and a more adjustable seat, but I think even with these tweaks, you're still in more danger. This is just a guess of course.

In any case, I love my Prius, and I could do nothing but reccomend it. Airbag issue aside, the small issues are very minor compared to the wonderful positive things a Prius can bestow upon its owner that no other car can :)

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You didn’t say how tall/short you are.

Of course try driving a Prius first.
    If you put your location in your stats it helps PriusChatters answer some questions . . . who knows, some PriusChatter who lives near you may even let you drive their car.

Toyota Mobility:
    “For pedal extender reimbursement, the customer must be medically diagnosed with a dwarfism condition.â€
    http://www.toyota.com/html/mobility/assistance.html

Or if that does not apply, talk to the dealer about pedal extenders.

6. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

I am 5 feet tall, technically 4'11 and 3/4'' without my shoes. I usually have problems in cars. In my past Saturn, I had to sit on a pillow to comfortably see over the steering wheel. I was worried about the Prius, I was also worried about being too low to see the hood. I quickly figured out with the steering wheel in it's lowest position, I can comfortably steer while still being able to rest my hands on my lap. Reaching the pedals has not been an issue. The ONLY issue that I have had becuase of my size is the comfort of the seat, but this complaint is not limited to short people. The bump for the lower back is a little too high for me. I sloved the problem though. I went to a camping store where I bought a small hiking pillow. It fits right in the hole of the seat, fills my back, is totally comfortable and gives me the ability to put the seat back a bit farther. I am probably close to the 10 inches, but I think I am okay. As I am beginning to get used to the car (I have had it for 2 weeks now) I am able to put the seat back a little farther... I am not so paranoid and can relax a bit.
    I think you'd be surprised how adaptable tha car is. This is the first car that I've had that I didn't have to sit on a pillow!

Let me know if you have any other petite person questions and I will go get out in my car, try it out, or measure whatever you are worried about and tell you the answer.

Isn't finding pants the worst? Nothing ever fits and even the petites have to be hemmed!

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nobody that I know of sees the hood on this car! :lol: If you search the forum you will find a post on how to build a device to attach to the front license plate holder so you can see where the front of the car is. Mostly you get used to not seeing the hood and learn how close to get to park the car. Its all part of the low coefficient of drag.

8. mswhealer

mswhealer New Member

Exactly why I am able to relax a bit and have the seat back further! I soon realized it doesn't matter how tall you are, seeing the hood is never possible!

9. LeslieS

LeslieS New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks everyone. Being barely 5' is a problem at times. I have one more question about the batteries which I will post as a separate question.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I like to consider myself 5' but technically, I am 4'8 and all leg (and arms) with a very short torso. I have to have about 5" of cushion to be able to drive a car, but thanks to my long legs, I don't need pedal extensions.

Just about all cars have driver airbags built into the steering wheel, and would all have the same safety concern. Fortunately, the Prius does reduce the airbag deployment impact if the seat is positioned within a certain distance from the wheel. The way I see it, if the seat is capable of getting that close without modification, it should be reasonably safe.
    Besides, if the airbag deploys, I probably would be safer with it that without it.