1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by helfri62, May 19, 2013.

1. helfri62

helfri62 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    but not sure because of mileage.

We have an opportunity on a 2006 Prius with 148K miles, one owner, then bought by the original dealer and finally sold to an individual who seems to buy and flip cars. I don't know why the dealer didn't resell it. There are records from the dealer that shows that the maintenance was done, and Carfax says the title is clean.

The price is really good for this area, but I'm nervous about the current mileage.

Is that mileage too high to trust? It will probably go with my daughter to college and it won't get that much use for a couple of years.

What questions should I ask? It seems like one good one is whether the battery has been replaced yet. If there is a list in a post, I didn't find it yet.

Or should I just walk away and look for another one. I think I'm sold on Prius in general, but is this the right first one?

2. ovni

ovni Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Just because carfax shows the car hasn't been in an accident, doesnt mean it hasn't. I've inspected several cars with "clean" titles and it was obvious they were fixed up. If no one reports the accident, how will carfax know??

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! it is difficult to give advice on a car with that kind of mileage. statistically, it might not have any major issues for another 50-150k miles. but certainly, the odds go against you with every additional mile. if you can afford a major repair, in the unlikely event that something goes wrong, go for it. if you can't, you might want to rethink. all the best!(y)

4. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The high mileage is the best feature in this case, because it will not get much use by your daughter in next couple of years. Why buy a low mileage car, pay the higher depreciation?

Actually, for Prius, this mileage is nothing. I will not hesitate just because of this. My 2004 Prius started at 110K in 2010, as well as my 1998 Lexus in 2007. Both cars now has 185K miles and they all drive like new. No major repair at all. The key point is the condition of the car. If its good, take it now.

As for major repairs on battery, I think the crashed Prius provides plenty of used good condition battery, and I heard many times installed cost is less than $1500. My Prius at 185K does not show any sign of battery deterioration.

5. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    what is reasonable price?

6. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...where do you live? That may help if you live close to hybrid support areas, go for it.

7. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius is generally trouble free and simple to maintain. At this age/mileage, you need to check that spark plugs, transmission flush, brake fluid flush have been done. Also, water pumps tend to seep/leak at this point. Serpentine belt may show cracks. Traction battery (big battery) is probably fine. There is a 12V Aux battery that should be changed when volts drop below 12. Normal service includes engine air filter and cabin air filter every 12 months and engine oil/filter every 5,000 miles.