1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering a used '07 or '08, advice?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Archer, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Archer

Archer New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been test driving other cars, and come close to signing the check a couple of times, but I realized today that the car I think of most is the Prius I get from Zipcars. So now I'm looking for a Prius, but my budget is 18K. The dealership is offering me:

a 2007 model 1224 w/ 38,164 miles for 17K (+tax, tag & title)
    a 2008 model 1220 w/ 39,241 miles for 18K (+tax, tag & title)

Is there anything about cars in that model year that I should know? Advice? Recommendations? If I could find a new 2009, I might be able to stretch the budget to fit it, but I'm told there are none out there. :confused:

2. Muhahahahaz

Muhahahahaz Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I believe that model 1220 is the base model, so it has absolutely no options, whereas model 1224 signifies that it has at least Package #1. However, there are 6 different packages for 2007, so it may have any one of the Packages #1-6.

They both look like good prices for some low mileage Prius', assuming they are certified used. There's nothing really different between those model years, except the way the available packages were arranged. Find out what options the 2007 has and see if that matches what you want.

Here's a list of the 2007 packages for reference: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-std-features-option-packages.html#post247102

You can take a look at Package #6 to see everything that could possibly come with the Prius and then decide which of those options you want. I'm a gadgets guy myself, and I was lucky enough to get all of the options, but my minimum requirement was only Package #1 or so. I gotta at *least* have an aux jack for my MP3 player! ;)

If that's important to you, then skip the base (For 2007, at least. I'm not sure if the base 2008 is different.) The aux jack can be added in later, but of course that costs quite a bit extra. Oh, and another nice bonus is that even Package #1 includes the Smart Key System, which I absolutely love! :D

Edit: Another interesting fact. I'm not sure if it's actually possible to get just Package #1 only. It seems like you have to get either nothing or at least Package #2 for some reason, haha. (And this seems to be confirmed by the fact that I've seen each of the Packages #2-6 on sites where the package number is listed, but never Package #1.) The difference between 1 and 2 being the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC), which is always nice to have. :)

I'm thinking that the 2007 is most likely Package #2, which gives you: VSC, rear backup camera, an auxiliary audio jack (such as for plugging in your MP3 player), and the Smart Key System. Of course, you should check with them to make sure. ;)

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As with any used car, do a title search to be certain that it's not a salvage. So much can be wrong with a salvaged modern car it would make you ill.