1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering an M3 - wondering if I'll need a couple more solar panels

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by jerrymildred, Sep 7, 2021.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm really starting to think seriously about getting a Model 3 next year if I can save up enough to have a small car payment. The main thing I wonder about is if I have enough solar power capacity or will need to expand a little bit.

Financially, I really can't justify doing this. The Prime runs great and I only buy gas a couple times a year except when we take it for a trip. But the tech in the M3 is putting some kind of spell on me. :LOL: And it has some safety features that really do make it a good thing to replace the Prime, but maybe not with a $40,000+ car. Still, sometimes you just want it for the fun factor and it sure does sound like a fun car.

I've only had the solar on line now for four months and those have been months when we're been away from home more than usual, but it looks like we sized our system about right (a little more than needed). This makes me wonder; everything else being equal, will I be using significantly more electricity charging an M3 than I do charging my Prime?

When I look at fueleconomy dot gov, it says the standard range is 142 MPGe, which is 24 kWh/100 miles (4.17 m/kWh) and is better than the Prime's 133 MPGe claim but not as good as my actual 20kWh/100 miles (5.0 m/kWh).

So I'd like to ask those of you who have already switched from a Prime to a Model 3 SR+, how does the efficiency compare? If you got a long-range AWD, I wonder about that, too, but I'll probably have to get the standard range to keep the budget from exploding in my face. I've seen some reports of one-time trip efficiency, but I'm wondering about day-to-day long-term driving. I know there's no way to be sure ahead of time, but it would be nice to have some sort of idea of what to expect. And then again, it won't hurt much to have to buy a few kWh a year. ;)

john1701a likes this.
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm planning to jump on a bZX4 next year. Lots of unknowns with that still. I obviously have to seek similar wisdom.

#2 john1701a, Sep 7, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    jerrymildred likes this.
  3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got a PIP in 2012.
    Later sold my other car (2009 Prius) and got a Nissan Leaf (3 yr lease) while I waited for the M3 pre-order.
    Got the M3 in 2018. Still have the PIP.

Summary:
    My lifetime on the M3 is a bit under 210 w-hrs per mile which is better than EPA rating.
    I think the PIP is ~10-15% less than that. Of course not an apples-to-apples comparison since the more difficult miles are done with gas. About 65% of miles are EV.

The newer M3's are a bit more efficient.

It is very difficult to drive the PIP after getting used to driving the M3.

Mike

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I traded our 2017 Prime, 16,000 mi, for a 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 in March 26, 2019. We kept our 2014 BMW i3-REx as backup for the Tesla.

The BMW, 72 mi EV, was a better PHEV than the Prius Prime, 25 mi EV. The Prime had better engine efficiency but the control laws in Huntsville AL were miserable with many 'special' turn on cases below 55 F whereas the BMW would not turn on the ICE even below freezing. So few miles on the Prius Prime. I won't speculate outside of the EPA metrics on the cost per mile but with over 50,000 miles in the Model 3, I have these clues:
    • $2.75/100 miles EV - 2019 Std Rng Plus Model 3 urban driving (not counting free charging)
    • $2.95/100 miles EV - 2014 BMW i3-REx urban driving
    • ~$3.00-3.50/100 miles EV on SuperChargers - 2019 Model 3
    • $7.00/100 miles gas - 2014 BMW 3-REx highway driving, 39 MPG
    PlugShare turned out to be the key to finding out if the Model 3 or the BMW i3 would work. Set the filter to your fast DC charger of choice and L2 chargers. Then plan trips using the vehicle capabilities.

The BMW was easy because we could hop truck stop-to-truck stop for the two cylinder engine. The Tesla was initially a challenge because early trips I had to use L2/RV park charging. Today I do the whole trip on SuperChargers. The Prime could have done the same trip on gas with one fuel stop but no expectation of useful EV operation at the arrival.

Bob Wilson

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In a majority of cases, what a car actually gets in comparison to the EPA comes down to that route and driver. If you are beating EPA in the Prius, you will likely beat it in the Model 3. Assuming you still drive it the same way.;) As for electrical use, I don't see it changing much as long as the Model 3 is driven the same amount of miles as the Prime on EV.

jerrymildred and iplug like this.
  6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, Bob. You are one of the ones I was hoping would chime in.

It looks like I drive a lot more EV than you did in your Prime (over 90%). My cost, outside of road trips, varies from $1.03-$2.98 per 100 miles on my Prime. That smaller number was my first and only daily commute tank so far since getting solar power. (I figure 3 cents/ kWh since that's what the utility will pay me for the electricity I send them over and above what I use.)

But, I see that the SuperCharger costs less than gas does for road trips. That's good! With my Prime in my normal at-home driving, I average 5 m/kWh. So, 20 times that at the 12 cents I used to pay would be $2.40 per 100 miles in the Prime if I didn't have solar. Slightly cheaper than your SR Model 3, but I'm sure there are differences in driving conditions.

It might fit into my solar production capabilities. At worst, I'd need to add one or two panels, and I have plenty of room for that. But then again, with retirement at the end of this year, I really don't know what will happen to my driving patterns or our home energy usage.

Thanks, Mike. That's mighty close to my lifetime average in the Prime of 5.0 m/kWh.

I saw that. It looks encouraging. Did they do anything by way of OTA updates to the older M3s to boost their efficiency?

I'll bet!! :D

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty much what I'm expecting. Just looking for other experiences to see if my expectations are reasonable.

8. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe. But mostly they changed the HVAC to be better so no OTA fix for the octa valve.

Mike

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The number of extra panels that you might require really depends on your average daily mileage. You can only add as much energy as you use. :) There is no such thing as adding extra energy to a fully charged battery. If you drive 5 miles this morning, you can only add 1 kwh of electricity to the battery today. That's assuming the efficiency posted in post #6.

In essence, the Prime and the Tesla use roughly the same energy per mile. This leads to the conclusion that if the Prime can be recharged with your current setup and driving pattern, then the Model 3 will also. The outlier is the long trip where you will arrive home with a depleted battery. It may take several days to recharge if you have the capability to restrict the charging current so that it does not cause the car to start charging off the grid. Or you can just plug it in and let it draw from the grid till the battery is fully charged again.

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, if you mean adding more panels when you say adding "as much energy as you use," I can add as many panels as I want -- within reason. But it's not cost-effective to add too much since the electric company doesn't pay very much for excess production. But, as I re-read what you wrote, I see what you mean. Yes, that's kind of obvious. I'm just wondering how much I'll actually use. I guess I'll find out after I do the deed. :D

It is looking like both cars are pretty even in the m/kWh department with the Tesla maybe having a slight lead. As I mentioned, most of my driving is EV. I think it's right at 90%. I do about 10 miles a week on a regular basis that's beyond battery range, so I will use a little more juice with the Tesla if I get it. I'll have a better idea of my PV production by the end of the year. But it's looking pretty promising now. Even with all the rain over the past few weeks, I've made about 800 kWh more than I've used since the panels went on line in May.

I guess it's a matter of figuring out when to order it and have it all work out with the knee preplacement that's coming up whenever they get the anti-vaxers out of the hospitals. Sooner is probably better for my trade-in value, but I'm wondering if some new incentive or price reduction might come along if I wait a few more months. I've never bought a new car in my life and I've been driving for about 50 years, so this is pretty exciting.

farmecologist likes this.
  11. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Let me know when you want to sell me your Prime. (y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  12. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd go to the Tesla web site and see how long of a wait there is. Several months for some models I think.

The Tesla experience is different!

Mike

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all, I have to chime in. The topic is so interesting. For the last year, the wife and I have been investigating getting solar panels for our home. We had two dealers come to our home and their monthly payment options for enough roof panels to generated enough power to cover our necessary load would cost more per month than our current electric bill, would be "forever" and would rise 2% per year! Plus, we found out that our roof would have to be replaced due to the prior owners putting on 3 layers of shingles! Yikes! During this entire time, my wife kept telling me to look at Tesla Solar Electricity. We decided to give them a shot. Long story short, Tesla's plan is a 10 year payment plan (or of course, pay upfront), they do their own financing (at a very competitive rate) and they have what is called a solar roof! The roof is hail proof and has a life of over 50 years. Yes, your entire roof is a solar panel! The other thing I liked was their storage battery package and electric car hook up. The reason for all this rambling is that their set up is made for a homeowner to be on their own power 24hrs a day (even if Edison decides to do rolling black outs) and the power drawn would be enough to charge an electric vehicle as well.

Now I have an excuse to look at a Tesla! LoL. Anyway, we settled on Tesla's option and tear down of my old roof is scheduled to start on the 16th of this month.

14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might be a while. Definitely not this year. Maybe next spring. But if you're still on the hunt then, I'll let you know. Don't wait for me. :D In Florida you only pay sales tax on the difference between the car you buy and what the dealer gives you on trade, so it's often a better deal to let the dealer have the old car. Then again, if I know it's going to a good home, that's a real plus.

Just for the fun of it, I speced one out and it said delivery would be in January. Might have had something to do with wanting the white interior. We both HATE black interiors.

That's pretty amazing. We also needed new shingles but just because they were getting old. So, since it was part of the solar project, they get counted in the tax benefits. We paid cash for our roof. The loan for the solar equipment was only 0.99% interest and the payment is $82/month, which is less than our average electric bill over the past year. But it's a 20-year loan. A 10-year loan would be a payment much higher than our electric bill. At less than one percent interest, I'd much rather leave the money in my investments which have been growing at about 14% annually for the past 10 years.

Batteries would be nice, but with our extended rainy periods, it would take a LOT of capacity. Better for us to just use the car to power the fridge and a couple lights and fans if power goes out. But since we moved to this house seven years ago, we've only had a few blips and one outage that was less than a half hour.

Edit to add: The wife is digging in her heels a bit, so that's another thing that will slow down the buying process. With only 57k miles on the Prime and only having had it for 2-1/2 years, now is a little soon to be trading. But then again, one of these idiots I have to share the road with could change everything at any time. It wouldn't be a first. :cautious:

#14 jerrymildred, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Always good to see what Tesla would offer.

Bob Wilson

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Even if I didn't need to wait till next year, it's definitely a good time to wait and see what happens with this proposal:
    Dems propose new $12,500 electric car rebate, Tesla left with $4,500 disadvantage - Electrek
    It's all subject to change of course, and there is one HUGE change I'd like to see. (The penalty against companies whose employees don't feel they've been treated badly enough to need a union.)

17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just test drove an Ioniq 5. I really like that thing. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, but want to get the lay of the land. It was almost dead silent. Reasonable acceleration. Very legible display. Not a long enough drive to get the whole picture, but I like what I saw except for no spare tire and no good place for one. But that's no worse than my Prime.

Really comfortable seats, roomy back seat. Driver interface will take some learning, that's for sure!

Edit to add that they had several cars in stock of each trim level. I was impressed!!!

#17 jerrymildred, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    john1701a and farmecologist like this.
  18. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Hyundai has come a long way. We really like our Hyundai Sonata and Elantra GT...and they are 2012/2013 models!

BTW - Sandy Munro has a first look of the Ioniq 5 on his "Munro Live" YouTube channel :

He actually had a few nice things to say...and that is saying something since the guy might as well be a Tesla employee at this point. :whistle:

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just finished watching the first half of that video just now while I was icing my knee. He really seemed impressed with the fit & finish.

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Weeeeellll, it's time to hit the pause button on a new car/EV. Elon keeps raising prices, which started me looking at alternatives. I'm flat out in love with the Ioniq 5. I took my wife for a test drive in the SEL trim that I'd like to get. She likes it except that the steep and narrow bolster on the edge of the front passenger seat makes it a little hard for her to get her short legs out and get her feet on the ground. (The price you pay for more than 4.8" of ground clearance, I guess.)

And then I found out that there's a $3,000 markup on it after all, despite being originally told there was none. Looking online, I see the the same prices at other dealerships.

As I was thinking about it this morning on my daily perambulation, that markup broke the spell and I actually got a a little ticked off. I remembered that they need me; I don't need them. And yet they want me to pay bribe money for the privilege of keeping them in business. Sorry, but that's "bass ackwards" as my mom used to say. My Prime is still a great car, even if it's not everything I'd like it to be. It's paid for and runs almost for free. And with Russia and Ukraine getting ready to have a war that's starting drain my retirement account like a round from an M1A1 Abrams hitting a water ballon, I've decided to be content with what I have for another year or so at least.