1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering an older Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Aranthon, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Aranthon

Aranthon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

I suddenly find myself in the market for a new car. Up until a slight disagreement with another driver (over who got to occupy the turning lane -- we both lost), I was driving a Pontiac Vibe. Since that particular vehicle is no longer an option, I'm doing the car search thing.

Originally, I was looking for another Vibe -- I've been happy with the fuel economy and reliability, and they're in a nice sweet-spot, price wise. I went to a dealer to look at a Vibe, and they had a line of four or five Prii that were near to my price point. I'm considering the following vehicles, and I'm curious what the opinion of the forum is for each (each has a spotless Carfax)
    2006 w/ 116k miles for $6990 (fully loaded w/ Leather, backup camera, nav system)
    2006 w/ 138k miles for $6449 (Backup camera, cloth seats)
    2005 w/ 125k miles for $5990 (Ordinary options)
    2005 w/ 142k miles for $5700 (Ordinary options)

Once we get out beyond about $6000, I'm starting to make the payment a stretch, so I definitely don't want to go beyond $7000. The Vibes I've found are all under $5000, but all have relatively high mileage (and all are older than 2006, particularly since Pontiac went away)

None of the Prius listings have said anything about battery replacement; I gather that's probably on the horizon, so what should I expect to pay for that?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! there are several options for diy'ers, and you can get a rebuilt, a salvage or a new one installed. diy cell replacement is just a few bucks and a lot of time, up to new from toyota for around 4k installed.

there are several systems on a prius that are very pricey, such as brake master cylinder, a/c, inverter, tranny and more.

but on average, they last a very long time.

3. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Consider, too, that if the 2006 cars were originally sold in a CARB state and you are in a CARB state you may still have a little warranty left on the batteries. That's what happened with us. The battery on our 2006 Prius went south just a couple of weeks ago but with six months left on the 10 year, 150,000 mile warranty Toyota replaced it for free.

Bisco is right. The Prius is very dependable but it does have a lot of expensive systems if something does go wrong.

Too bad about your Vibe. My best friend also has a 2006 and it's been a very good car for him. He is on his second engine but has over 350,000 miles on that frame. He also wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if they were still being made.

4. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bought a base O5 a couple years ago w/123k. It now has 183k. Other than normal maintenance items. I had to replace 1 injector and the coolant control valve. Both DIY jobs. Total part costs $160.00.
    Otherwise it's been extremely reliable and I'm lovin the 47- 51 hwy average l've getting.

5. Wolfy90503

Wolfy90503 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would look on Craigslist for private owner cars that have battery & other receipts. That's how I found my car a few months ago (06 fully loaded, 92k mi, new battery, $7400)
    The only downside about Prius sellers on craigslist is the good ones (non-salvage) are getting multiple offers almost immediately, so you need to check and recheck the ads several times a day and be ready to pounce when you see the right one. I ended up offering $200 over asking and got the car. It's worth every penny.

6. johnnyb588

johnnyb588 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm not as patient as a lot of buyers, so I knowingly leave money on the table when I need to buy a car. I don't like to spend hours scavenging for the absolute best deal if I know there's a car for $500-$1000 more that is equivalent and available for immediate purchase. If you need to/like to do that, more power to you, and good for you.

That said, in the price range you've given and with your statement than anything over $6k is a stretch, I'd go for the 05 with 142k and see if they'll come down to $5k out the door. If not, $5700 out the door would still be an acceptable price to me. If it's $5700 plus fees and money is truly tight, I'd go private party and scavenge CL a little bit. CL is tough for the very reason that Wolfy mentioned (the good ones are gone QUICK), but that'd be where I would turn in a pinch.

7. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    FYI: your Pontiac Vibe was a Toyota Matrix with a Pontiac badge.

So the car is still available, just with a Toyota logo on it.

DKG1011 likes this.