1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering buying 05 Prius, 70K miles, $9000...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tvspaulmoore, Oct 6, 2010.

1. tvspaulmoore

tvspaulmoore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there

New to the forum- always wanted a Prius and currently in the market for a cheap used car I have found a 2005 with 71,000 miles going for $9000... would be interested in any views on whether that's a good price- or anything special I should look for or ask.

It's being sold by the owner, who bought it new. It runs fine (I drove it) but I would love to know if that's a fair price (seems about right judging by Kelly Blue Book website). Carfax looks fine and checks out.

Also, should I have it checked at a dealer before making a final offer? Reading some other threads people seem to suggest having a Prius technician somehow check/estimate the remaining battery life etc.- is this worth it? Could a regular auto shop do it? Would a dealer be able to tell exact maintenance history from the car's computer?

Any and all advice welcome as soon as possible!

I am in Florida if that makes a difference on price or possible wear/tear faults...

2. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

There are real knowledgeable people on here, take a search around the board for 05 common problem areas. One seems to be the MFD can go bad more often than 06 and after. The original 12 volt battery may need replacement. 9K seems like a good price to me, having bought mine new. In fact I would say of all the used cars to buy for 9k, the Prius would be a #1 pick. The traction battery should show some amount of blue bars and go to green bars at times. No warning signs should be lit on dash. If the car wasn't salvaged it will still have warranty left on the hybrid and emissions system, including the main battery. Good idea to have a dealer run the rerpair and update records.

3. priusma

priusma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    that seems like a good deal. Sept 09 I bought a used 2005 fully loaded for 13,700. Same mileage, 70G. Hmmmm.

4. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Accurate information from my 05. See what service records they have and where they took it. Everywhere I take my car has records, dealership or not. Probably not a salvage if one owner. I've picked up my other ones just because people are not satisified with 50mpg.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a good price to me. had a dealer offer me $8,000. on a trade for my daughters 04 w/ 75,000 miles.

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like an unfair price to me. I suggest at least $11k

7. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it's for sale by the original owner, and he has service records, I'd say it's a really good deal.

8. tvspaulmoore

tvspaulmoore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tips. It checked out OK with the dealer- needs nothing major- just $50 of brake work. But it is not pristine condition or anything like that- a couple of dings here and there and feels 'used' so not sure if we are going to stretch to $12,000 and see if we can get something newer- though my wife (and me- though I *want* a Prius) reckons the money would go further on a Corolla instead.

9. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I own an '07 Prius. If I were buying it, I'd do the following (just my opinion):

1) Replace the transaxle fluid (4 quarts of WS fluid, a bit of labor).
    2) Replace the 12V battery with the Optima Yellow Top battery.
    3) Replace the inverter coolant pump.
    4) Replace the plugs.
    5) Clean the Mass Air Flow sensor.
    6) Do an oil change, replace oil filter, engine air filter.
    7) Wash cabin air filter.

I'm really curious about the $50 worth of brake work - a Prius hardly uses brakes due to the regenerative braking.

#1 helps keep your transaxle in better shape. #2 & 3 cover known weaknesses in the Prius to prevent future headaches. #4 is just my opinion, #5 I've seen on this site. #6 is just common sense. #7 is common sense, but the factory cabin air filter is washable (cheaper that way).

10. SimiPrius

SimiPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    I purchased an '05 with 70K miles about 6 months ago and other than an oil change, cabin filter and replacing an axle boot, it has run flawlessly. I also replaced the transaxle fluid. Does the car have the keyless start, nav, bluetooth, etc. These were available and are nice to have....the price is good....