1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering buying used prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by paultango, May 16, 2005.

1. paultango

paultango New Member

I am considering buying a Pruis and trying to decide if used is a sensible thing to do. I want to save the money though it doesn't seem like you save much unless the milage is over 50K. Do people generally consider that significant advancements in the technology have been made as the years have passed? Where can I get listings of the options packages that were offered on the 2003 and 2002 models? What serious advancements have been made with the successive model years?
    I suspect that lots of people have varying opinions on these questions, but I am willing to hear opinions, so please respond.

Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are no significant differences b/w the '02 and '03 model years. The big jump came with the '04 model year.

I guess I'm not sure what your real question and concerns are. Could you be more clear about what, exactly, you're looking for, what you want to spend, what your expectations are regarding fuel savings, price, etc.

Have you done any independent research on this at all? Take a look at Edmunds.com and other car selling sites to see model features, user reviews, professional reviews, etc.

3. madams

madams New Member

I had a 2003 Prius and the only things that didn't come standard was a cd player and Nav system. The only thing that the 2003 had on it that the 2002 Prius didn't have was the Cruise Control.

4. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have to agree that you need to tell us more about what you need in a car before we can make any recommendations. I'd recommend the nav system if you drive around to strange places all the time, for instance, but if 90% of the time you're driving to only three different destinations and back, you may not need that option. If you find yourself stuck in traffic for long periods, I'd recommend 04-05 because of the compatibility with XM satellite radio, a feature my friend found important because he routinely has to drive through long traffic jams. VSC is a good feature if you need to take the car on bumpy, dirt, or icy roads. Do you have a family you like to take out often? Then the 2000-2003 models might be too small for your needs. If you go on driving trips where you pack up a lot of camping gear or luggage, definitely the 04-05 because of the extra space in the back (which is why I upgraded; I have to carry my musical keyboard around all the time and the old Prius was really too small for that).

But if you're a single person, or married with no kids and don't take a lot of high-cargo trips and generally don't need a NAV system for most of your trips, the 2000-2003 might indeed be a better deal. (though there is an after-market NAV option for 00-03 that the 04-05 doesn't have).

5. paultango

paultango New Member

Thanks for your replys. Please continue to write.

The main use for this car will an urban commuting route, about 12 miles, each way of which often takes close to 45 minutes to complete, more than half of the trip is often stop and go, highway.

I am looking for a car that will hold 2 very comfortyably and 4 in a pinch. Cargo space is good, but not a deciding factor as I have a '94 Carolla wagon for when I go camping with lots of stuff. I imagine that the rear seats fold down in even the 2002-3 models and give enough room for a few backpacks, right?

Is there a big difference in fuel milage between the 2002-3's and 2004's?

I am hoping to spend about $15K and get a car with less that 50K, 40K would be nicer. And I hope to view the car before buying to see if there have been any collisions, etc.

My thought about milage on the car is based on my experience with other toyotas, but not Prius. At what milage do things start to need repair? My Corollas and Tercels started to kick in with more frequent parts requirements at about 80K - exhaust systems, starters, water pumps, shocks and struts, CV's etc. Do most people do all their repairs at the dealer? (I live in Boston area.)

A NAV system or fancy satelite radio is not a priority, but a cruise and alarm system are. CD is required, but fancy CD changer and concert hall sound are not. Traction system and safety pluses would be good, but if they add alot of cost for something that doesn't make much difference... Well isn't that the case with anything. What is VSC?

I also seem to like the body look of the 2002-3's better. They don't stand out as much as a "different looking" car and possibly will attract the attention of car thieves less. (Again the city.)

That's enough for now and, no, I haven't done enough homework yet. I can't seem to get Edmunds.com to show any info about used Prius specs, values, options, etc, but I haven't spent a lot of time poking it.

Thanks for your kind thoughts,
    Paul

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

VSC: Vehicle Stability Control. Consumers Reports calls it ESC: Electronic Stability Control. You can think of it as an extension to ABS, where the car can detect if it tries to do doughnut skids. There is a yaw sensor and a steering angle sensor so it knows how much the car SHOULD be turning because you told it to. If it doesn't turn enough, or turns too much, it will adjust brakes at each individual wheel to correct for this, and in some vehicles, as in the Prius, correct your steering.

I might be wrong but I don't think the classic rear seats fold down. However, a 2003 Prius does sound like a good candidate vehicle for you.

7. paul16451

paul16451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Actually, the seats do NOT fold down in the 00-03 models, though there is indeed enough cargo space for a few backpacks. But if you're looking to put something long like a surfboard, rowing oars, or a folding picnic table in the car, it aint gonna work. unless you have no passengers, in which case you have to angle it in to the back seat (I got tired of doing this with my keyboard).

Mileage difference...generally the 04-05 will give you better gas mileage by about 5 mpg with average driving. Never believe the EPA numbers...real time, you'll get about 40-45 with the classic and 45-50 with the Prius II.

For the price range you specify, I suggest you look for a 2002 or 2003 model. When I traded my classic 02 in a couple months back, it had about 45K miles and I saw the price sticker on it the next day advertising $17K, which of course you would negotiate down. Cruise control is standard for 03, but even in 01-02 models you can get that addition installed for about $200-300, so it shouldn't be a main concern. An alarm will cost you about the same (these are all dealer estimates, btw).

As for repairs, I can't vouch for what happens on a classic Prius beyond 80K miles, but I did the recommended fuel injection cleaning at 42K, and all the recommended oil change intervals, and didn't have one single thing go wrong in all the time I've owned it (though I did have to replace the tires once of course).

8. Herb

Herb New Member

Prior to 2004, the rear seat of the Prius did not fold down. That alone is worth narrowing down your choice to 2004 or later.

I have a 2005. I am 6'3" tall. I ride with the driver's seat all of the way back. I can easily sit in the backseat with about 2.5 inches between my knee caps and the back of the front seat.

The 2004-2005 Prius can comfortably seat 5 adults.

If I were you, I would consider biting the bullet and purchasing a new Prius. The used ones are not selling significantly less than new ones.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the 2k3 Prius comes with alarm and immobilizer standard. I personally don't like hatch backs as they are targets for thieves doing smash and grabs, I'd much rather have a trunk. I've done hi 40's US Gallon with mine easily, the 2k3 is known to get better mileage than the 2k1-2 Prius. Documented by Andre Grant the Taxi driver. The Classic has some TSB's on the steering and a few other points and any purchase should include checking the VIN against the TSB's. For two people occasional 4 a Classic is a good choice.