1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering PIP audio upgrade - safety issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SCDrJ, Apr 17, 2012.

1. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Audio gurus -

As the audio quality on my PIP base (display audio, no JBL) is poor at best, I was considering a conservative upgrade with quality components as I have a lot of leftover equipment from prior cars... Was going to try the following perhaps:

Factory HU high level output into AudioControl LC6i (own already) to provide signal processing and signal sensing turn on lead, etc.

50x4 + sub (100-200x1) 5-channel amp (recommendations appreciated)

Focal 5.25 components up front (tweets in dash openings)
    Focal 6.5 coax back doors

Custom sub box in right rear cubby - 10" JL or other

I was thinking of fashioning a vertical amp rack in the small storage area in the back, since that's where the 12v battery is.

Thoughts? Is disconnecting 12v battery sufficient for working on audio in these cars without removing the HV service plug? I imagine it would be as once the 12v is disconnected no current can flow, but appreciate ideas here!

2. PaJa

PaJa Senior member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The HV components are pretty well isolated from std. 12V buses. So, just be careful when you are close to HV battery in the trunk. I don't expect you will deal with inverters and MGs during your audio upgrade.