1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Considering the purchase of Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Uncle Siggy, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Uncle Siggy

Uncle Siggy psychological monster

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently paid off my 2003 Toyota Tacoma Extended cab. As it happens I am staging a move from the Pacific Northwest back to CA, for a number of reasons (family specifically). I drove the truck down here, and today I researched the resell value of the truck, and I'm considering selling on Craigslist, since it seems likely I'll get a little more cash out of the deal. That truck was not my first. In the early 80's I had a '66 Corona, and in the late 80's and early 90's a '80 Pickup. All three vehicles were terrific, and I'm a loyal customer, but I don't consider myself a shill or fanboi, because I recognize there are many excellent cars on the road.

I feel, regardless of how the economy is doing, gas prices will continue to rise, and I cannot stop driving, so I owe it to my pocket book and the planet to ease back on the consumption of fossil fuel, though I have a long way to go before I can claim any credit for being green. So I've decided based on the features and performance I've read about to encourage Toyota and the industry at large to produce greener products.

I have read several threads here and I have to say it's a great site, and I offer thanks to all those who spent time helping me understand the Prius, the Gen III being an excellent evolutionary step from 10 years ago. This leads me to a couple of questions that have probably been asked from time to time, so I hope this buttering up will make you amenable to answering them again.

If you don't like to answer questions, or I could have gotten this info elsewhere, no need to berate me, just stop reading right here. :)

1) Incentives

Unless I've missed something, in SoCal (San Diego) there are no incentives at the moment. No state and no federal. I heard rumors of 0% down and 0% financing. When I spoke to a sales guy around Mira Mesa, he said there was no 0%, just killer leasing, which I'm not interested in. Am I overlooking any incentives?

2) Financing

My bank is offer .25% off financing hybrids, so I can get 5.25%. I have excellent credit, and usually get a pre-auth certificate before I go shopping (to lock in rates). Can a dealer beat 5.25% with or without 0% for 2 years?

3) Trade In v.s. Craigslist

After reviewing KBB, it seems I can sell my Tacoma for about $2,500 more on Craigslist (more effort obviously) than I'll get on a trade in. My purchase of a Prius is NOT contingent on the sale of my Tacoma. My question here is, am I likely to lose on a trade in as I think I may?

4) Taxes

If I am a resident of WA, can I get the car tax free in CA (am I tax exempt)?

5) Negotiating

I negotiated for my Tacoma, and got it at the 2003 Costco price, minus $100. I don't know if I actually got a deal there. How can I best negotiate the price of this Prius? Feel free to point me to videos and howtos.

Thanks for reading this far! :help:

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Upfront, I am no expert. This is just what I think I have read from many places around here.

1) Toyota used up all its hybrid credits because it is so popular. Each brand had an allotment. I think there are only a couple brands left that qualify. There are still credits for PHEV and EV though. All the icentives were when Toyota was being burned at the stake by the media hype. Now that it has calmed down quite a bit and they are being proven in the right, Toyota has backed off the good deals. With the new Lexus issue, who knows if more media will jump on them again and what will happen with prices. Sort of like gambling I suppose.

2) I think 5.25% is really high if you have good credit. I have great credit and was able to get a used car loan for 2.99% in February, full purchase price financed because I could. I do know that dealers love to sell financing because they generally scoop a bit off the top every month. Therefore it is higher. Or maybe lower for a longer time, but nomatter what you will pay more through a dealer.

3) Again the dealer will make money. They will never give you a fair tradein, because they have to do a lot of work to make it sellable to someone else. If you can sell on craigslist, then you might as well. But also keep in mind private party financing is harder to obtain for someone than through a dealer. So it might be hard. But since you dont need to trade it in, then you might as well just try to sell it privately.

4) You cant get out of them, but you pay them where you live. So if you buy it in CA, but still live in WA, then you pay no tax in CA, and you pay tax in WA. But since you are moving back to CA, for registration and everything you should just do everything in CA.

5) I am sure you can, but Toyota's are known for non-negotiable prices. Maybe with the recent media hub-bub there is more room but dont expect to get a great deal from a dealer. I think you are better off getting a deal from a private party who beleives the Toyota balogna and is selling their "death trap".

Good luck with the Prius buying!

3. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can't answer point by point, but I am new to Toyota having been a GM guy for decades. I sure like the new G3 M II and am close to getting 50 mpg in the city. But to do that, you need to drive it carefully with a light foot. I've noticed other drivers now speed around me so I drive mostly in the right hand lanes. You will like the G3 no matter which model you get.

Costco (you mentioned it) has a fleet deal for its members. So if you are still a member, go to the Costco auto site and find a dealer in your area that will accept the fleet deal. It's about $800 plus or minus off the MSRP. As for financing, get it somewhere else like your bank or credit union. Dealers here are now at 4.9% APR for Prius (60 months) - not as good as even a few months ago when it was around 2%. Most Priuses now sold have already had the firmware recall done on the ABS brakes.

4. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought my Prius....

Costco pricing (in Northern California) was $800 over invoice. My calling around had dealers willing to sell to me at invoice prices (which were similar to the "invoice" price I was seeing from the dealer working with Costco....so to buy from Costco, would cost me at least $800 more than otherwise). AAA was +500 over invoice. I called around to several dealers and got my car for about -$350 invoice (before the $750 rebate that ended April 5....sorry you missed it).

If you buy the car in California, it will get the CARB state warranty on the hybrid parts (something like 10 years, 150,000 miles). I'm not sure how the taxes work out. You will end up having to file some forms somewhere to make sure Washington gets their share if you are a Washington resident. The dealership should know how to do this. I suspect, in the end, CA will get their money from you.

Dianne Witmire is an online agent for a dealership in So. Cal (Manhattan Beach) who supports this site (check the dealership section) that many people here have dealt with and have had a wonderful experience.

I'm not sure what incentives are out there at the moment.

You will make more money selling your truck on Craigslist than at the dealership. The dealerships make their money from you by the following

1) Trade ins
    2) Financing
    3) Final purchase price

You can get them to give you a better deal on #1, but expect that you will get an inflated #2 and #3. Best to be clean and only negotiate #3 (and buy without having to do #1 and #2 at the dealership.....hmmmm potty references :D

Good luck!

5. Surfdolfin

Surfdolfin Surfin the Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey, only can answer #5 ...
    I emailed 30 SoCAL dealers and started my pricing there based upon edmunds.com average invoice pricing for a II model. Did the other noted thing, too - waited till the last few days of the month (& year) in my case it was about 6pm on 12/31/09! I ended up at Mossey in Pacific Beach.:cool:
    Good luck. Bart

6. ibnird

ibnird New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in the SF Bay area, No. CA.
    I emailed 10 or so dealers, stating they had one chance to offer me their best price. I was exact in what I wanted. I followed up only with the best response (City Toyota, Daly City, CA) and paid, if I remember, $200 over invoice.
    I felt I got what I wanted: no stressfull, time-consuming negotiations, and I price I could live with, and the exact car I wanted.
    This was in December, 2009. Took me about one hour of work. I believe this is the strategy Consumer Reports recommends.

7. chale

chale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For what it's worth, I've owned a 2010 Prius for a month now and am absolutely thrilled. I don't think I'll ever go back to a non-hybrid car.