1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consistantly Exceed MPG Estimates

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Keller Prius, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Keller Prius

Keller Prius New Member

I'm sorry to hear so many people complain they don't get the sticker estimated mileage. I have not chimed in over the last few months when people spoke of under or at 50 MPG because I thought I was just being a wimpy driver to get good mileage. I usually get 56-58 mpg over the entire tank.

Well...maybe I do drive in a "wimpy" way, but it consistently payes off.

My rules...
    1) drive the speed limit
    2) If God put an uphill road in front of me, my car should slow down (don't fight God)
    3) If God put a downhill road in front of me, my car should go faster (let God help)
    4) accelerate quickly (not excessively), then go electric.

The biggest thing that eats MPG is the slight acceleration (1 mph / minute). You never see the increase in speed, but the mpg drops terribly.

Here is a picture of my fill-up tonight. I usually wait until 600 miles on the tank, but went ahead and filled-up early.

Best luck to all and remember, it can be done!

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice figures, very nice. I had heard the brisk acceleration from a stop, which most drivers would think hurt fuel economy, but I have never heard so clearly that that silly constant acceleration hurts MPG so badly. I've heard of course that slow acceleration from a start could, but never the slow acceleration in general driving, though it certainly makes sense.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well the fast acceleration or slow aceleration has two possible effects. i notice that even very conservative acceleration will still cause the ICE to run and produce mpg in the 25-35 mpg range.

so faster acceleration then settling into cruise mode below 42 mph will consume at the rate of 10-15 mpg but only for a half dozen seconds instead of 30-40 seconds in the first scenario. then the car goes EV and the mileage runs at 60-99 mpg.

well when accelerating slowly and getting low mileage, that might simply be because the battery is low and the ICE is running to charge the battery. this is something that cant be and shouldnt be avoided.

although many here swear by their EV switch, i sometimes wonder if i would have enough discipline to not abuse the battery if left up to me as when to charge or not to charge. the real long term effects on the battery wont be known for years until batteries start to fail if they fail.

and i guess that one thing i decided when i got the car was to demostrate to others how little need be compromised to drive the Prius. Granted, if that is how you drove before, then no one expects you to change. but i will say that my mileage is within 5% of the EPA anyway with my last tank at 55.68 mpg on 438.7 miles. (i usually fill up with 2-3 bars left)

and i break nearly all your rules especially the first one. mind you im not excessive and frequently congestion doesnt allow the speed limit. i use cruise control nearly all the time and i hope that the button cant be worn out, because it requires a lot of attention especially in town.

4. Batavier

Batavier Member

With my current car (a diesel) I always shift to a higher gear as soon as possible to keep the revs pretty low, I hardly go over the speed limits. Only a tad, to compensate for the speedo.

I try to go through corners as fast as possible, to minimize braking and because it's fun to do so! :D

So for me driving the Prius and getting good mileage will take a minimum of adjustment of driving habits. Let's hope I'll get 50+ MPG as well.