1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Constant driving vibration noticeable over 40mph

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Lumberjack Zac, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Lumberjack Zac

Lumberjack Zac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've searched over the threads and didn't see anything too helpful.

Here's where I'm at.
    I was sure it was a wheel bearing I'm at 198k miles. I replaced all the wheel bearings in the car and the noise still persists. The old bearings were definitely in need of replacement so I'm fine with that.

Neighbor mentioned my rotors looked warped and they may be vibrating the calipers but the they don't seem to vibrate harder under heavy braking. There's no vibration through the steering wheel.

When I did the front bearings the CV boots are still holding up. I kinda busted some of the dry and cracking boots around the tie rods and ball joints but that's for another day.

Anyways, I run winter tires all year round being in snow belt and they are cheaper. Wear is worse on the front tires outside edges from cornering and I'm gonna replace and go for an alignment soon.

It has to be something that is spinning on the car from the noise I'm getting. Worse at higher speeds, constant variable humming.

Did I get a bad new bearing?
    Are rotors really shaking my calipers back and forth constantly?
    CV joints or axle?
    Tires or alignment?

Attached Files:

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Given your tire wear, it sounds like an alignment.

Are the wheels balanced?

Did you check for play in tie rod ends and ball joints when you did the wheel bearings and noticed bad boots? You can do that with large channellocks and a pry bar.

Good luck.

3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Always check for rogue lead weights that could have found their way inside the tire when it was fitted. I had that once and it was a nightmare to track and trace. When the wheel was fitted on their balancing machine the weight stayed in one place so giving impression wheel was balanced. When fitted on the car it would bounce around inside the tyre causing vibrations. "But we've checked that wheel twice - there's nothing wrong with it", when there was.

First thing I always check now if having strange vibrating wheels.

4. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bad tyre? (…broken belt in the tyre?) I've seen that on the rear offside wheel of friend's Audi, thought at first it was a bad bearing but it was a tyre with a broken belt)

5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had bad rear bushings that caused vibration. More likely your tires. You have a shifted belt.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can check your rotor's trueness with a dial indicator with magnetic base. Also good to check them with a micrometer too.

3rd gen rotor specs are in the attachment, but they should be in the ball park:

Attached Files:

7. Lumberjack Zac

Lumberjack Zac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    /thread
    I checked all the wheels and I'm missing a weight. Wow $600 in parts and tools later. But the parts needed it sooner or later. Curb probably ripped it off.

Now I'm dealing with the repercussions of the rear brakes in another thread.
    ABS Brake and (!)
    Thanks everybody

Emergency brake light, VSC, ABS, and (!) On after Brake Replacements | PriusChat

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sometimes wheels don't need a weight. Can you see a spot on the rim where there obviously was a weight, some crud residue? If you're just seeing a wheel without a weight, but there's no such obvious evidence there was a weight, I'd first get the balance checked.