1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Constant Whirring Sound

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sisterkel, Jan 3, 2014.

1. sisterkel

sisterkel New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 Prius has started making a noticeable soft whirring sound whenever the engine is running. You can hear it both inside and outside of the car. The sound lasts exactly 30 seconds, then pauses for 4 seconds, than repeats . When the car is turned off, the sound can be heard for about another 10 minutes before it shuts off entirely.

2. 00-00

00-00 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    My 2008 had a noise that sounded somewhat similar to yours.
    The bearing in my brake accumulator pump motor was bad, and the accumulator would not retain pressure. Mine would run about 10 seconds, then off for 4 seconds.
    The accumulator assy is located behind the inverter and left of center. On mine, when it was making the noise, I could slide my hand across the top of the inverter , and back to the assy, and feel the vibrations of the running motor.
    My solution was to replace the accumulator assy with a used part.

3. YOLOsoBuyaPrius

YOLOsoBuyaPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that when you open the door the brake pump comes on for about 5-10 sec but I have never heard about anything like this. The A/C in my 2010