1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports 1st Take - CT 200h

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by ggood, Apr 29, 2011.

1. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The guy got the horsepower figure wrong. CT200h is a lot heavier than Prius? I thought only 100 lbs more.

3. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    = 88 lbs

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea, 88 lbs is A LOT heavier than Prius. CT200h weights virtually the same as Mazda 3.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i found the short take dissapoining :(... seems like they didnt want to research the car before.

6. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They were comparing it to other Lexus cars they've driven. Ah something that has never happened to me. So the review meant nothing to me when they were comparing it to other Lexus. As do most of the reviews. The geek in me is really interested in the Prius PHV, the Lexus because of its luxury, and the Prius 4 with some extras like the solar roof.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pakitt's review was a hundred times better.

8. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll say.

Of course it'll still be an interesting read when Consumer's Report finalize the CT200h review probably against other hybrid luxury cars (snicker) since they drive all their cars the exact same way. And incidentally their mileage for the Prius Gen II and Gen III happens to be almost identical to pakitt's, 44.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the front end styling on the CT a lot. I kinda not too crazy about the styling around the back edge of passenger doors. I do not know how it will do over time. No one know now.

I'm just too tall for the car anyway and would insist on more passenger room. Prius would still be top hybrid for me.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought it was decent review for being 2 minutes, but yes, it was laden with comparisons to the Prius. Surprised to hear 'it's a little loud inside' so he says. He coud have mentioned it can be with had with fine leather seats.

Don't worry ggood, I'm sure CT is a comfortable and economical car to drive and to me, those are two very big benefits.

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely focused on the negatives and got a few important details wrong. But overall, I would say correct.

My opinion is that this car is not made for the US. As the US falls from being a large car buying power, the markets that are overtaking want this type of vehicle. This is the perfect European "hot hatch" as Jeremey Clarkson would say. Well he wouldn't say it about the CT since he is Lexus-phobic and anti-hybrid... This would also fit in quite well on the streets of PRC. Americans may grow into it, and it may sell ok here, but I don't believe it was intended to ever do well here. I would be curious to track the worldwide sales of this one. :)

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can tell you it sold something like 875 units in US in April, but who can judge with the quake/tsunami. ouch.

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Was that 875 sold, ordered, or delivered?

The Lexus dealership I was at last month had a waiting list, and one for demo only. Delivery was not until end of the summer at the earliest if we ordered that day.

It will be hard to get figures right until the mess gets cleaned up over there. Tragically that may take a very long time.

14. UsedToLoveCars

UsedToLoveCars Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    CR tends to focus on negative things a lot more than positive things. Though this guy seemed especially harsh.

Their 1st take pointed out the things that bothered me about this car, though: noisy, cramped and not too sporty.

So much for acoustic glass.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

i was frustrated a bit by review, it seems guy didnt know much about the car...

... so to the noisy, it is actually quite quiet car as objective tests have shown, it is quietest Lexus after LS... as to the cramped - yes it is small car, so what? Is every car supposed to be barge on the road?

I dont get that in 2011, Reviewer complains that C class hatchback is "cramped".

16. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "The ride is pretty firm...but it's less impressive as you drop below the beltline."

That's what she said.

17. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They're ba-a-a-ck! -

From the logbook: 2011 Lexus CT 200h

Some of their logbook entries are contradictory, some are actually accurate and some are nonsense.

This is not supposed to be a power car people. It's just supposed to be a more luxurious Prius, albeit smaller and better handling. To compare it to the higher end Lexus also makes no sense, since it is meant to be an entry level car and is priced accordingly.

To say the car is noisy is just flat out wrong. I think what some reviewers mean is that they don't like the way it sounds, rather than the decibel level.

Finally, the ride is pretty good, but does favor handling over smoothness. It is definitely better than Prius but doesn't float like Camry. The comment about bumpiness is way exaggerated, as is the comment about rear visibility, which is better in CT than Prius.

Everything is relative, but I just don't get what some people are expecting from this car.

and what's up with the fiddly shifter comment?

18. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Lexus gets about the same gas mileage as a Honda Insight, and is almost twice the cost. $31K vs 18K.

I don't know how much bigger inside the Lexus is, but if room is your problem, buy a Prius.

The Lexus is just an effort to build some unneeded luxury into a hybrid.

19. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    lol, Insight vs CT? I never thought I would hear that! They are completely different markets. You buy a Honda to be an economical hybrid. If you are buying an Insight, it is because you can't afford a CT. If you are buying a CT is is because you want to look good and be slightly greener and expense is no worry.

20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

unneeded luxury? if you dont like it, fine, but i would say luxury is much needed.