1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports declares the Ford F-250 Lariat 2010's worst gas (diesel) guzzler

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Feb 24, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Consumer Reports declares the Ford F-250 Lariat 2010's worst gas guzzler — Autoblog Green

Consumer Reports link: Best and Worst Cars - there are some real winners on this list, both real winners and err... never mind.

That 10 mpg is while running on diesel.

2. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes the new ford really does suck fuel its the worst of the bunch.

That motor is done now though and no longer being produced. The 6.4L Powerstroke is dead.

The New motor (codenamed Scorpion) displaces 6.7L is a V8 and is entirely built and designed by Ford Inhouse. It looks fairly decent on paper, it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

3. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford has said the new 6.7 will be about 18% more efficient than the 6.4 and is confident it will be the most efficient HD pickup.

4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep,

I am not surpised by this fuel consumption. Fords' regen mode for the dpf sucks up the fuel. A lot of owners of these 6.4L Powerstroke diesel are NOT a happy bunch.

My old 2000 7.3L gets 18 - 21.5 MPG, solo, 16 MPG towing - not bad for a 4 ton truck. It get used only for haulling the camper with the m/c trailer.

No new diesel for me.

Dbcassidy

5. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ford can say what they want but until it works and gets good economy, nobodys really listening. Fords diesel reputation has been declining since 2003.

2 people like this.
  6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can I ask a question from a European perspective?

Why on earth do you need a 6.4 litre engine in a pickup? I thought the idea of a diesel vehicle is that you get more power and economy out of a smaller engine. The new Range Rover V8 diesel is much more powerful than the petrol V8. But why a 6.4 litre engine in a pickup? Couldn't you get by with a 4 litre turbo diesel? What must you have to tow that anything less than 6 litre couldn't tow?

I know we have high fuel tax over here which is why we are more concerned with economy, but we still tow boats and horse trailers without needing a 6 litre diesel that gets 10-15 mpg.

Am I missing something?

1 person likes this.
  7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Laziness? No need to produce engines w/small displacements? I hear that Singapore and the UK used to have road tax or registration based upon engine displacement.

We don't have anything like that in the US, at least not for "light duty" vehicles that consumers buy.

I stumbled across The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring and see that you seem to have taxes based upon CO2 emissions. No such thing over here either.

We have a "gas guzzler" tax, but stupidly, "light trucks" which includes SUVs, some vans, minivans, and pickups are exempt from it. Unfortunately, they're the biggest consumers of fuel and make up close to 50% of vehicles sold in the US. Only really powerful cars that sell in tiny numbers end up getting hit by it.

Oh yeah, and we had (not sure how much of this is still in effect) stupid tax breaks for people buying guzzlers like Hummer H2s due to a loophole: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/104601_hummer17.shtml and http://www.hybridcenter.org/hybrid-vs-hummer.html.

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Ford F-250 HD and F-350 and larger used to have a 7.3 litre V8 turbodiesel, which ironically got much better fuel economy. Ford really blew it with that new motor

Some Ford 7.3 turbodiesel owners actually do work their truck, hauling 6,000 lbs in the box or towing 16,000-20,000 lbs behind

Until the Isuzu engineered Duramax came along, Chevy had an inferior offering. Their diesel motors from the 80's were unreliable unless you really knew how to care for them

Dodge picked a Cummins Medium Duty inline 6 diesel motor for their heavy duty pickup trucks, displacing 5.9 litres. In original early 1990's trim, with no emissions controls, that motor offered an enviable combination of durability, fuel economy, and towing performance

When diesel emissions, particularly PM, became regulated here, and despite 5-7 years lead time, none of the Big Three could figure out how to offer clean performance. They made their diesel engines clean, but in many cases the real world fuel economy is 50% of the older designs

I suspect most of the owners of these heavy duty trucks are posers who just use them for image. Quite a few of these trucks have pickup box beds that look as clean and shiny as the day they rolled off the assembly line. The factory installed towing hitch doesn't have a scratch on it

Quite frankly, I could care less what somebody drives. Just don't whine to me how much it costs to fill up the tank

The irony of diesel engines is that at one time, they were known for torque, fuel economy, and simplicity/durability. Now with the complex engine controls to meet emissions standards, they can still offer torque, but the simplicity is out the window, along with fuel economy

And once those modern sensors and electronics go on the fritz, forget about simple repairs. An old Lister diesel can be maintained and even overhauled by just about anybody with more than half a brain. The new ones - forget about it

9. ems1

ems1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All of the light truck manufacturers are having issues with the DPF equipped trucks. Neither GM Dodge or Ford are getting decent mileage with the DPF. The dodges are having issues with DPF's cracking and also engine blocks. The duramax has been plagued with injector issues as well.

Eliminate the DPF on any of the above trucks they become a very solid platform and the Fuel economy goes up exponentially.

Ive driven a 2011 ford with the 6.7 liter powerstroke diesel. The power is phenominal. The mileage is great as well. The F250 I drove Averaged 20.2 MPG hand calculated. Not bad for an 8000lb truck

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, these diesels are typically work trucks and the owners often tow heavy loads. Those that don't tow typically buy the gasoline versions. Large displacement diesel is the easiest way to get low end torque at slow speeds. Add to that the marketing message of something bigger or different and you get these diesels. As others have said, there has been some stumbling in American diesel design for clean diesel.

Note hybrid technology can add 4wd and low end grunt as well as better fuel economy. I would expect this kind of technology to get adopted quickly into work trucks as the tech is proven and price comes down.

btw: saw two hummer limos last time I was in atlanta. I don't think those have anywhere near the excuse.

11. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The duramax injector issues were. Only on the first generation. The DPF has nothing to do with it.

The reason for the increase in displacemen is due to the loss o power from emissions regulations. They can't go backwards in power.

The new 6.7 powerstroke will have 390hp and 736lb-ft. The new duramax is said to have more. Making that much power from a smaller engine would increase emissions and lower fuel economy.

Here's another example. One of our tractors has an 8.3l diesel and only makes 135hp.

There are many fctors that determine engine displacement just depends on the application.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I bet the maximum governed RPM is 2,200

Just curious, what is the PTO-rated RPM? The tractor at my hobby farm is clearly marked on the tach where the rated PTO speed is, 1,500 RPM

13. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The hovered RPM is 2450 IIRC the rated PTO is like 2000. I don't remember off hnad though, that tractor is old, one of our oldest actually it's a 1990. It has an 8.3 cummins.

14. ems1

ems1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the Dmax injector issues were prominent up until the 06 model year

15. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No thy were not they happened on 01-04.5 trucks. The LLY had differnt injectors and a differnt head design to get rid of the issues and it worked.

The LLY motors had injector wiring harness issue on some but not the injector them self.

16. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wayne at CleanMPG just finished a drive in the new 6.7 Powerstroke. 1907 miles and 28mpg while burning B20 with no load. Pretty impressive for a 7000lb truck with 390hp.

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So it looks like they finally figured out how to make something clean AND efficient

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I haven't been keeping up on diesel ... but what ever happened to Ford's 6.9L ?? Seems I remember back in the 1980's diesel lovers really liked that one.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A friend of my dad's had an '84 one ton with the International 6.9. It wasn't turbocharged, but reliable

20. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know Ford that well, but it went something like this:

6.9 was replaced by 7.3 IDI
    7.3 IDI replaced by 7.3 IDI turbo
    7.3 IDI turbo replaced by 7.3 DI turbo (Powerstroke 7.3)
    Powerstroke 7.3 replaced by Powerstroke 6.0 (total POS)
    Powerstroke 6.0 replaced by Powerstroke 6.4
    Powerstroke 6.4 replaced by Powerstroke 6.7, which is where we are now

The 7.3 Powerstroke seems to have a good reputation.