1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports/New Car Price Service

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dorf, May 25, 2007.

1. dorf

dorf Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Has anyone had experience negotating, a "buying price" using the Consumer Reports Price Service, figures?

(Their $14.00 Price Report)

2. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dorf @ May 25 2007, 06:27 AM) [snapback]449685[/snapback]</div>
    I like CR but there are many free ways to determine invoice on a new vehicle. With the price of gas now you'll likely pay close to MSRP on a Prius. Having said that I would not pay doc fees or any of the dealer/distributor add-ons like ToyaGuard, sealants and other BS. Offer 10% over invoice and negotiate up to MSRP sans the aforementioned add on crap.

3. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ May 25 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]449706[/snapback]</div>
    As of 6 weeks ago I was able to get one under dealer invoice. I don't know if they're still making as good of deals now, but no reason to start at 10% over invoice. Start at or below invoice.

4. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Highly ImPriused @ May 25 2007, 10:18 AM) [snapback]449798[/snapback]</div>
    You bought one for less than wholesale, i.e., invoice? That's unheard of in this neck of the woods for a Prius.

5. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mootsman @ May 25 2007, 06:02 AM) [snapback]449706[/snapback]</div>
    MSRP is not the invoice price. Consumer Reports is able to give you a copy of the invoice that has the actual dealer cost on it with other info. This gives you a way to offer the dealer the amount of profit you think is enough. I remember going with my father when he was shopping for a new 1988 Camry LE. He used the consumer reports report, and was able to pay just $900 over what they paid.

The dealer was asking $2500 over what they paid, so he was able to save $1400 for a $14 fee. Sure the dealer will show you "the invoice" but it isn't the real invoice. You can't get that from a dealer.

-wiiprii

6. wrangleriethings

wrangleriethings New Member

I was able to get in slightly above the invoice price for my new '07 prius. i went off of consumer reports and the kelly blue book listing to come up with what seemed to be a reasonable price for the car.

7. briloop

briloop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I just bought a Prius using CR's price report. I got mine for about $500 over the CR Bottom Line Price. CRBLP is the dealer invoice, plus destination charge, less dealer holdback.

We went to two dealers:

Dealer A (Classic Toyota in Round Rock, TX) treated us with much kindness and consideration. They discounted the car a lot - about $500 over the Consumer Reports Base Line Price plus invoice price of the options.

The salesman we dealt with at Dealer B (Charles Maund Toyota in Austin, TX) had a bad reaction to our negotiating style (CR's advice included in the CR price report). The salesman treated us rather rudely by not backing off the MSRP.

The Prius is the third car that I bought using a CR price report. I bought a 2005 Honda Civic $200 over CRBLP. In order to find that deal, I went to four different dealers in two different states to get price quotes.

The $200 over CRBLP for the Civic was the lowest price I could find. One of the dealers wanted $800 over CRBLP. I bought the Civic just before Christmas, when most people are out shopping, and not in the showroom.

8. mootsman

mootsman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ May 25 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]450069[/snapback]</div>
    I'm 61 and have been buying new cars for 40 years and have friends in the car business. You can get the true invoice from a dealer AND you can get the year end "holdback" also. You just have to know what questions to ask and which documents to look for. If CR helps you with this, then fine. I'd rather like the "game" of negotiating. When I buy I walk in and ask for the person who can close the deal and provide me with the appropriate documentation for negotiating....if they don't choose to offer it, then I'll walk. Anyhow, blanket statements like "you can't get that from a dealer" are a bit misleading.