1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports: Prius most reliable car... again.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nineinchnail1024, Oct 29, 2009.

1. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1 person likes this.
  2. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    First I read that the Honda Insight is most reliable, then the Prius is most reliable. I don't know who to believe.
    I do know that Toyota builds the best cars though.

3. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 that.

4. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I believe that the Insight was found to be the most reliable car overall. They had different categories of cars and the Prius was judged the most reliable "family car."

5. Indyking

Indyking Happy Hyundai owner...

I don't know... Indy, Chicago, Madison (WI)... it
    Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How in the world can you measure reliability in cars so new to the market like the new Insight and the new Prius? This is a crock of baloney. You have to wait at least for 2-3 years to collect the real reliability data before coming to any conclusions.

2 people like this.
  6. teamjdb

teamjdb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's been my experience that most of CR's automotive reviews have been a crock.........of something.....................

7. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    CR does seem to be on a downward slide lately. for years, i was a subscriber and took their word as "the source" but times have changed...dramatically.

technology has advanced and CR, like many many companies has failed to take advantage. they assume that the old "tried and true" formula still works...

**edit**

LOL... so the fusion, milan, (ice and hybrid) well, at least they were all grouped "near" each other in the rankings...

8. taggart

taggart Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I completely agree. I saw a news story on this the other night that was talking up the "reliabiliy" of the Ford Fusion hybrid. Has that car been out long enough to rate its reliabilty? No way. It reminds me of the rankings of "initial satisfaction" that you hear all the time. I would guess that most people are "initially" satisfied with their vehicles, or they probably wouldn't buy them in the first place.

Can anyone say "snow job"?

9. GreenGuy33

GreenGuy33 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree 100%!

1 person likes this.
  10. Holbrook22

Holbrook22 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I agree with you.
    I took their ratings to be initial quality ratings which says nothing for the real (time proven) quality of the products.

11. Prius Happy

Prius Happy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    toyota and honda... either or. Love both brand... no hate =]

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    These aren't some reviewers opinion. They are the result of surveys that actual owners report the number of issues. All CR does is tabulate the responses.
    Obviously for newer vehicles you are only getting responses about the car since it has been out, so... initial quality.

13. hotbrass

hotbrass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    CR is loosing to the internet just like all print media. Info is too easily accessible. I find joining the forums that specialize in products, like this one, have more pertinent information than any "scientific" study or opinion poll.

14. macdonald

macdonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Such rankings are just part of our culture now, like "instant classics."

15. Silver bullit

Silver bullit Right Lane Cruiser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am surprised to see that Honda is not included in the top group.

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I second this comment. I have a 2007 Honda Accord 4-cylinder that has 30K miles. I have done nothing other than change oil and filter and rotate tires since I have had it. Very dependable and nice car.

The local Honda dealership has one of the most professionally run service departments I have visited in my 40+ years of driving. My only hope is the local Toyota service department is somewhere close to the Honda one.

17. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My third and last Honda Accord (1995) had over 200K miles on it when I sold it and the only work I ever had done was to replace the timing belt at 100K, which I did for maintenance purposes, not because it stopped working. I sold the car 3 years ago and still see it on the road occasionally. I'd never owned a Toyota until I bought my first Prius. Time will tell if I become a faithful Toyota customer.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had only one Accord, which stayed in the household for 23 years. While it was not as trouble-free as others here -- it was the first year of a major redesign -- it had considerably fewer problems than any previous Detroit design in the extended family, and its repairs were much cheaper than depreciation on any possible replacement, all the way to the end. It didn't fail me, I abandoned it due to its ancient safety standards.

DW's Integra, slightly younger and the last year of a design series, is even more reliable. This is my first Toyota. But ever since I went Honda, all the Toyota owners I knew had the same degree of loyalty to their 'yotas as we Hondas owners had for ours.

19. yadax3

yadax3 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    CR usually rates cars on 'predicted' reliability and since Prius has been on the market for over a decade now, I'm betting their ranking is largely based on previous the generations' data.

20. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Close but usually not as good. My current vehicles are my third Honda and second Toyota used in two different states (so various dealers). Honda wins hands down. Of course, being number (T) two in the industry is not bad :D

Part of why Honda is number one to me is that I have NEVER had to call their corporate call center to get information, or something resolved, I could not at the dealer level. The dealers always take care of "it" period. I always do with Toyota (Avalon last car).

My 08 CRV only needs an oil change every 7,500 to 8,000 miles (computer tells me) and I had one small service visit at 15,000 miles. I have about 24,000 now so next is 30,000. I have never had to put air in the tires (first time on any car Honda or not). Perhaps I should be thanking Bridgestone. Only home my B's on the P hold up as well.