1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports Reviews 2011 Toyota Highlander Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by CPSDarren, May 14, 2011.

1. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2011 Highlander Hybrid received a Recommended rating and an "89" overall score, higher than any other SUV reviewed, including the Touareg TDI and Ford Explorer in the same June edition.

Midsized SUVs, Consumer Reports

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

nice to see hybrid at top, despite 47k loaded price!

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CR is garbage and I don't put any faith in their reviews. Good that they finally got one right, but their collective failures at journalism doesn't make up for it.

4. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I find they are one of the best when it comes to regular people looking for cars. Take reviewing a prius.

CR goes out and gets their real world mpg, they look at safety, they look at 100 of thousands of real world customers ratings and repairs.

Car and Drive take the prius to a track, and say it's slow and not fun, didn't handle well, and they couldn't feel the road through the steering wheel. Also they earn almost all their money from car makers. I don't freaking care how a prius handles as long as it's safe. I want to save gas and not have repairs bills!!!!

Motor Trend same as car and driver see above.

Why do you got to come in here and start bashing? And say they finally got something right? Did the fox news channel go out and you got bored?

5. silica

silica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    CR is a respected source of consumer information. Their frequency of repair records for automobiles is the result of coordinating thousands of reports from vehicle owners. Their reviews of vehicles look at real world issues faced by owners, unlike the publications already mentioned (Car & Driver, Motortrend).

Your post is just so much verbal diarrhea unless you can provide some specific examples of Consumer Reports's failures.

6. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This was a pretty big one in my industry:

Consumer Reports retracts car seat study - Business - Consumer news - msnbc.com

Their "Do Not Buy" rating of the Orbit Baby Infant seat was based on crash test results that could not be duplicated by the NHTSA or any other party, even using the same laboratory. I think think they've come a long way since then and they've actually been involved in technical conferences and dialogue in recent years.

In the auto realm, the Suzuki Samurai debacle was one that still leaves a few questions for anyone who followed it.

I'm not a big fan of their reliability ratings. They provide zero information on their methodology, such as margins of error, standard deviations, individual sample sizes, etc. They don't poll randomly, another major issue with any type of survey. Self-sampling readers subject to your own editorial biases is never a good idea (see Chicago Tribune coverage of Dewey d. Truman). The evidence of this was years ago when they gave results of corporate twins separately. Models that were joint efforts like the Toyota Corolla and Geo Prism that were almost identical and rolled off the same assembly line routinely showed better reliability for the Japanese version. Eventually, CR simply merged all corporate twins into a combined data pool to cover up the discrepancy.

Also, their surveys are very subjective, leaving it to the respondant to determine how serious a problem is. Plus, if you look at the actual problem rates they publish in their April issues (usually a line graph), you find that they are quite low. Integrated over a period of a typical ownership, you find the differences from above average to below average may only be a few problems of unknown severity and cost over 5 years or even longer.

Despite having some doubts, I've been a subscriber for 20 years or so. I find Consumer Reports pretty useful overall. I've been burned a few of times, but usually on smaller items where they were the only source of information I used. I find their auto reviews as subjective as most other sources, no better, no worse. The one advantage is that I do have some trust that their road tests are somewhat consistent so that their numerical results are more or less comparable. I always read their auto reviews, but I also read as many other reviews as possible if I'm buying a car. For what a new car costs, why get burned because you put 100% trust in one review?

Anyway, their reviews tend to be pretty influential, so it seemed like news, whether you like CR or not. I'm not sure why they picked the most expensive version. Hybrids get a bad enough reputation for being too costly. Even the base Highlander Hybrid that sells for well under 40k is already priced high enough that cost may well be the main reason Toyota sells probably well under 10k a year.

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

HH is built in Japan, and weight of strong yet is probably too high for Toyota to price it lower...I bet it has lesser incentives than rest of the range.

Same goes for RX450h, which had limited supply even before the earthquake...

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I like CR a lot. It is far from perfect as Darren notes, but I know of no other publication that can even come close. Critics demand "truth," when all we can really hope for is transparency.

Prior to CR, people took GM's word on quality. Hah!

9. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are CR haters but they have very little to go on. The company reviews and has reviewed thousands if not tens of thousands of products over multiple decades. I'm sure they get it wrong sometimes. I still don't know of a better source for objective (or as close as possible) information on reliability of automobiles.

The Highlander Hybrid is a nice vehicle but so outrageously expensive over the non-hybrid version that its savings in gas can never be paid for with the price premium.
    How long ago was that again?

There are definitely problems with CR, JD Powers, etc. I'm not aware of any truly objective source of data. All rely on users' reporting failures and depending on demographic and other factors the data is skewed.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Don't forget . . . . theye sing Praises about Gen II & III Prius too . . . . so . . . there you go.
    ;)

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I find many of CR's reviews to be disappointing, so I can't say that I am a fan. To be fair, I think the problem is inherent in reviews: what the reviewer considers important might not matter to me.

That said, we all need information to make informed decisions, and I find myself looking at CR from time to time. I take their reviews with a grain of salt, and understand that it is not gospel, but just another data point.

Tom

12. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Consumers reports says if gas averages 3.91 a gallon it would pay for itself in 5 years.

My math say gas averages $3.50. Hybrid highlander 44K non hybrid Highlander 37.5k. So you would need to make up 6.5k.

Hybrid gets 27 vs 18, so ver 100,000 miles you would save $6,482. Also i didn't take into account how much more the vehicle is worth because it is a hybrid thats how they come up with a five year payout.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The whole "pay-off" issue has been beat to death. Buy a 19mpg Caddy Escalade hybrid with 30" rims, gold trim moulding ... for an extra $15,000 and let me know when the pay off on THAT is ... then I'll be impressed.
    :p

2 people like this.
  14. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am another who is less than thrilled with c.r. I find a lot of the things they find important in a review to not be important to me.However compared to other periodicals. They are definitely the best we have available to us.

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    CR dinged the Prius for "Electrical Problems" due to the little 12v battery. (Mine is still OK after 7 years and 197k miles). They dinged my 42 year old Vacuum saying it let dust through when the dust was due to hard water at their test site (the vacuum uses turbulent water instead of a filter.) So I also read their reviews carefully and apply my judgement.

JeffD

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Believe me - your 12v aux battery is mortally wounded at 7 years, and changing over to the yellow optima right NOW, will save you a ton of headaches. CR didn't discover the weak battery - they probably read it here. There are scores & scores of posts regarding that very fact, stated months prior to CR's corroboration.

As for the Hi Hy, they've followed suit and switched over to the Atkinson ICE, just like the SUV hybrid Lexus now has . . . . power, and a VERY nice ride, too. With out toio much effort, we can get over 30mpg out of our AWD Lexus suv ... which is basically the same ride as the Hi Hy. What's REALLY nice is the Hi Hy offers up the optional 7 seat arrangement, for those who actually need the extra human capacity.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it has atkinson ice, of course... they moved to newer system from RX450h, instead of using old RX400h HSD system... hence the change in numbers.

18. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

are you planning to sell your HH at discount compared to V6 version?

Obviously HH will command premium as used vehicle as well... if fuel keeps being as expensive as it is, you wont have to pay off anything...

19. wwest40

wwest40 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The RX400h's V6 was NOT an Atkinson cycle engine. It is not easy to make a V6 engine atkinson cycle "compatible". In point of fact even the RX450h does not operate in the Atkinson cycle mode except well above idle RPM.

The RX450h's V6 operates initially in standard Otto mode, 13:1 compression ratio, and then only transitions to Atkinson mode, effective CR of 10:1, once the cylinder charge begins to rise where the CR MUST be reduced.

Personally I'm awaiting the advent of the new 187HP I4 being converted to DFI and adopting Atkinson mode...>15:1 base/native compression ratio. And then a Venza HSD using the new F/awd system, no rear "assist" electric motors.

20. CPSDarren

CPSDarren CPS Technician

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know of a better source, either, but that doesn't mean that CR is a good source of such data, for the various reasons I mentioned.

The base hybrid is about 5k more than a similarly equipped base regular Highlander V6 AWD with the tech package. That's about 5 years break even by EPA estimates. I drive less than EPA suggests, but gas here is approaching $4.50 for regular so it works out about the same. Of course, you could compare to a base 2WD I4 Highlander for over 10k less and you may not come out ahead if you drive it into the ground.

Potential savings aside, from day 1, the hybrid uses significantly less gasoline and pollutes less. That was more important to me and was also the main reason we bought our Prius. Everyone buys for different reasons of course, and value is a very good reason, too.