1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports tests aging 2002 Prius; says it "retains its youth"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, Jan 8, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I saw this recently in the print version of CR (I'm a subscriber) but didn't know until now that they've posted it online (freely for everyone) until now, thanks to Consumer Reports tests aging 2002 Prius; says it "retains its youth" — Autoblog Green.

More details at Toyota Prius: Consumer Reports.
    Take that CNW! (They're the purveyor of junk-science claiming Priuses have a 109K mile lifespan and significant mileage declines over time besides the infamous Tahoe and Hummer comparisons.)

2 people like this.
  2. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the article was interesting when I saw it in CR, too. I had a 2003 that i drove for two years and 74k problem free miles. I have owned many cars, and that was one of my favorites. I would usually get a new car every year, but skipped a year because I liked it so much. The only reason I got rid of it was because I was in an accident.

3. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to agree with CR, to a certain extent. I have bought nothing but Toyota vehicles since 1990 and with the exception of an '07 Camry Hybrid, I have not been disappointed. I have a '98 4-Runner with almost 200k miles and have not had any trouble with it. The only times it is has made a trip to the shop have been for regular tune-ups and such. I know Toyota is not perfect, there are some occasional hiccups, but overall, they are the best. I am not surprised at all about this report concerning an '02 Prius.