1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports Tires Q&A: Do you know where your tires were made?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Jan 18, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There's a great table in the article below.
    Consumer Reports Cars Blog: Tires Q&A: Do you know where your tires were made?

I was very surprised about the country of origin for some brands. I, for instance, knew that Continental is German, Kumho is Korean, Bridgestone is Japanese but was surprised to see Contentinals and Bridgestones from Brazil and Kumhos from China and Vietnam.

1 person likes this.
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it even goes beyond this: The tire manufacturers may have more than one plant within a country, and the quality of the tires from different facilities can vary.

Example: When the Firestone tires on Ford Explorers were investigated by NHTSA, they found that the tires from one plant had a higher failure rate than the same size and model tires from other Firestone plants.

[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy]Firestone and Ford tire controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I can say "Yes, I know where my tires are made" I've had good luck with Cooper's.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes - Finland.

Tom