1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports: Toyota quality slipping, Ford quality improving

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by JackDodge, Oct 16, 2007.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/710160435

The Detroit newspapers are crowing about this one so I thought that I'd share it with y'all.

"For the first time in the survey's history, a version of the Toyota Camry - the V6 - isn't recommended by the publication."

"Consumer Reports said The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan sedans rank among the most reliable family cars in its survey, along with the Toyota Prius and Honda Accord. Those Ford sedans and the two-wheel drive Ford F-150 V-6 comprise three of the four domestic models on the survey's "most reliable" list."

2. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Also dragging Toyota down is the unreliable, inefficient Tundra. One more reason why Toyota should drop those gas guzzlers!

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Oct 16 2007, 04:24 PM) [snapback]526513[/snapback]</div>
    How is Dodge doing Jack :D

4. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boulder Bum @ Oct 16 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]526515[/snapback]</div>
    Well I think this survey was primarily about reliability, not fuel efficiency. It's too bad to see the V6 Camry ratings go down. That being said, if I were buying a new Camry I'd get the XLE but the 4 cylinder engine version anyway as I don't need the huge horsepower and low gas milage of the V6. I think my parents 97 XLE Camry gets around 22mpg or so.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 16 2007, 04:28 PM) [snapback]526516[/snapback]</div>
    heh, the second part of my forum name refers to my favorite skill in producing prints in the darkroom back in college.

6. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Oct 16 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]526521[/snapback]</div>
    Right, I simply meant to point out that Toyota's least efficient vehicles are dragging down not only the fleet fuel economy, but also the overall quality rating of the brand.

The Prius, on the other hand, is noted as both the most fuel efficient car Toyota makes AND one of the most reliable cars period.

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't trust anything too seriously from consumer reports. I don't think they are biased by any means but when their test results on even the Prius comes back at under 40 MPG I wonder how hard they must drive these vehicles. When you drive any car like a racecar it lasts like a racecar, obviously a smaller more efficient engine is going to take a beating because it will be working closer to maximum output. There is a reason why they rebuild Jeff Gordon's nascar motor every week.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Oct 16 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]526558[/snapback]</div>
    Consumer Reports got 44 MPG when they tested the Prius, a result which is almost identical to the revised EPA figures.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Oct 16 2007, 05:51 PM) [snapback]526558[/snapback]</div>
    I trust CR for reliability and other data. As any Prius driver here will tell you, CR is way off on mpg for it. Their drivers must not be very adept at getting good mileage for any car. MPG is variable, depending on terrain and the driver.

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, the v6s in the camry have always been less reliable than the i4s.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 16 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]526610[/snapback]</div>
    Really? Well aside from the sludge fiasco... didn't know that.

There have been a ton of complaints on the V6/6-spd combo (both Camry V6 and ES350). They have a transmission spike from 3rd to 4th gear. It sounds like the transmission isn't engaging 4th as quickly as it should and the engine rpm rises sharply as a result.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    in DH's experience in life and in the shop, the i4s last longer. the v6s, especially the early ones, are just not as well designed. our 3s-fe's lasted 250k or more and were still ticking. our es250 had what, 170k on that 2vz-fe and the motor was toast. the 2vz-fe in the camry poured oil when we bought that... needed a lot of work. and now that it's in the es250, we're hearing bottom end noise. we're gonna take care of it as much as possible and run it till it blows, basically. who knows when that will happen, probably not imminent but it will not see 250k. it's not to say that there aren't v6s out there WITH 250k, but it's more rare than the i4 getting there.

DH loves that v6... but even he understands and admits that the v6 is just not as durable as the i4.

with the current generation, yes, the trans is the cause of a lot of complaints. even the i4 coupled trans has gotten a lot of complaints about shift quality. [funny enough, people also complain about how they can't feel the car shift... hm. people seem to just HATE that...]

a few of the new camry engines have dumped cylinders, oil leaks around the case seals, the first 2 or 3 years of the 3.5l v6, they wound up using clamped rubber hoses for oil routing lines for the vvt, and the back bank would start pouring oil out of them... the new filter system they use is alright, but makes DH wanna smack himself on the forehead.

the current gen camry v6, despite being the same as the avalon, doesn't have the same effect. same with the rav4, which also has the same engine in it. a Wth kinda effect, really.

on the sludge issue, that happened to the i4s too.

in DH's opinion, if you're gonna buy a v6 camry, buy an avalon. the camry is best as an i4 car.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wow...

but then again most cars sold are 4 cylinders no?

do not know but our Gen 5 Camry with the 2AZ and 4-spd became rougher from 1st to 2nd as it aged. The other gear changes weren't affected as much. Also at 106,000kms before its premature death, it was starting to idle ever so roughly. When new and in Drive, you could barely feel it, if ever. As it aged, you start to feel the engine idle in Drive... or maybe I got used to the Prius?? :p I don't know.

The TCH uses an updated 2AZ and that's one of our vehicles to consider. What do you think about the TCH, mechanically?

Also, yeah I think it's the transmission more than the 2GR engine. Cause as you said, the problem doesn't show up on the RAV4, Avalon or Sienna. But note that these vehicles use teh 5-speed automatic. The Camry V6 and ES350 use the 6-speed and that's the one causing problems. I have a video of the transmission spike. Someone managed to record it properly although I don't know where I can host a video.

14. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveLeePrius @ Oct 16 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]526521[/snapback]</div>
    Why not get the TCH? You get 99% of the features of the XLE and almost 50% better fuel economy!

15. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've had a subscription to CR since about 1957.

Their auto ratings have to be considered with a very large "grain of salt" They seem to have an effete/snobbish prejudice against American cars. They tend to emphasize American car's shortcomings while not pointing out the same problems in imports.

Recently, in a report, they mentioned that one of the American cars in the report, a Ford product, had disappointing fuel mileage. In the same report a Toyota model received no mention of it's gas mileage. If you looked at the test data, the Ford actually got better mileage than the Toyota.

It's very subtle, but their reports are slanted.

American cars have a history of poor quality and mediocre design. They are improving markedly. The last thing they need is self proclaimed "neutral" publications like CR kicking them when they are down.

16. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Oct 16 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]526563[/snapback]</div>
    Well maybe something is wrong with mine because I drive mine like a normal person and I think I would have to try to get anything lower then 50 mpg or drive through the mountains or leave the car on all night.

17. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Oct 17 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]526772[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. You can see that bias best when you look at reviews for joint venture cars. Some examples would be: Toyota Corrola / Geo Prism, Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe, Mazda 626 / Ford Contour. These are vehicles that were designed together and built on the same line by the same people. However, the foreign version will aways rank higher than the domestic even for things such as engine and chassis, even though these are the exact same components. That is why I stopped using consumer reports a long time ago, along with the vague nature of the rankings.

18. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ Oct 17 2007, 07:05 AM) [snapback]526772[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. You can see that bias best when you look at reviews for joint venture cars. Some examples would be: Toyota Corrola / Geo Prism, Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe, Mazda 626 / Ford Contour. These are vehicles that were designed together and built on the same line by the same people. However, the foreign version will aways rank higher than the domestic even for things such as engine and chassis, even though these are the exact same components. That is why I stopped using consumer reports a long time ago, along with the vague nature of the rankings.

19. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 17 2007, 02:11 AM) [snapback]526731[/snapback]</div>
    the 2az's do get a little rougher as they age but it usually doesn't get too bad. as far as the shifting issue, some of em did have trans problems, sure. another thing interpreted as a trans issue was a trans mount that went bad that could cause a rough shift but only at torque application, which would lead to most prominent effects at low gear changes.

as far as performance, the 2az is a good performer. he does have his concerns as far as the hycam- like how high they upped the compression because he's not sure how much more that engine could take. that motor's under enough stress already- it was real easy to overheat and warp the heads. he's not real concerned about the long term durability of the 2az in general, but it has been modified for the hycam. so he's not sure whether these concerns have been accounted for in the modified design and he's just spouting off about nothing...

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(n8kwx @ Oct 17 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]526756[/snapback]</div>
    maybe closer to 90%? haha.

You get a really nice wood trim, leather + wood trimmed shift knob, a cover for the auxiliary box behind the shifter, reclining rear seats, rear sunshade, foglights (seem brighter than the Prius ones), luggage box (for the milk jugs and 1 litre bottles), sliding armrest and covered rear cupholders but you lose VDIM and LED tail/brake lights.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Oct 17 2007, 12:39 PM) [snapback]527030[/snapback]</div>
    ahh.. well our car was totalled after 106,000kms by a taxi :( but yeah it's was starting to get a little rough. That's why it's tempting to get the V6 for the smoothness and quiet idle. But after hearing all the issues with the 6-spd, I'm not so sure now. But then the 2008 Avalon gets a 6-spd so do you think they've solved the tranny issue?

Also the new GR engines sounds coarse at idle. I was told it was because of direct injection that made a sound similar to diesel engines. Is that true? Cause the 2GR-FSE I heard on the IS250 and 350 both sounded more coarse and "unrefined" compared to the 1MZ engine I heard on an SE V6 several years ago.

As for the TCH, I thought the compression was not mechanical (because of the atkinson cycle?). Besides, isn't Toyota revamping their engine lineup? So the AZs won't be around for much longer. Valvematic, dual VVT-i and direct injection on the next gen engines (and maybe VVT-iE depending on how fast they can reduce the cost on that) should help boost FE.