1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumer Reports; Why Toyota should recall the Camry Hybrid

Discussion in 'Toyota Hybrids and EVs' started by Mike500, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Why Toyota should recall the Camry Hybrid
    Brake problems on 2007 to 2011 hybrids warrant a stronger response
    Published: July 28, 2014 02:00 PM
    [​IMG]

Following a federal investigatino begun earlier this year, Toyota has initiated two free power-brake repair programs for almost 178,000Toyota Camry Hybridsfrom the model years 2007 to 2011. The two separate repair campaigns address different potential component failures. The company will begin notifying owners this month, but thus far hasn’t announced any plans for a recall.
    Consumer Reports believes that Toyota should recall these cars. What’s at issue here is a series of acknowledged defects in a crucial safety system.
    One problem is caused by a clogged brake-fluid reservoir filter. A notice from Toyota to its dealers and affected owners mentions that one or more brake-system dashboard warning lights may be lit and that “front brake assist could be temporarily lost.” In at least some cases, that means that stopping the car could suddenly take significant brake pedal effort, especially as the front brakes provide most of the stopping force.
    Instead of a recall, Toyota has started a “service campaign” to install a redesigned brake-fluid reservoir in affected vehicles, anytime between now and June 30, 2017. Even owners who haven’t experienced the problem will be able to get the new part installed free. Further, if they’ve already paid for it on their own, they can apply for reimbursement.
    The second problem involves a dicey ABS brake actuator. If that should fail, warning lights will come on and it could take a hard push on the pedal to stop the car. Meanwhile, the ABS function won’t activate. A related problem comes from a possibly faulty “brake pedal stroke sensor.” The remedies include a new actuator and replacement or reprogramming of the stroke sensor computer chip.
    Rather than a “service campaign,” the actuator problem is covered by a “warranty extension,” which stretches out the warranty period beyond the standard three years or 36 months to, ultimately, 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first. That’s a good thing, because an ABS actuator for Camry Hybrids of this vintage costs at least $1,000 at retail and dealers may charge a total of more than $3,000 to replace it.

The warranty extension is only offered to owners who experience the problem. But people who have already paid out of pocket for a new actuator or brake-pedal stroke sensor may be eligible for reimbursement.
    Toyota’s action was prompted, at least in part, by many consumer complaints lodged with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Over the last several years, owners have complained of loss of braking performance, increased pedal effort, and other difficulties. The NHTSA opened an official inquiry in January, asking Toyota for its record of complaints and other data. The NHTSA cited 59 complaints of defective brakes.
    We've found that today the number of power-brake complaints for those two model years has risen to 269, with 14 crashes and five injuries.
    While NHTSA’s information request concerned only 2007 and 2008 Camry Hybrids, Toyota’s eventual response—the service campaign and the warranty extension—broadened the scope to include all years from 2007 through 2011, and it will apply to an estimated 177,500 vehicles.
    We think Toyota’s proper action would be a recall. Greatly diminished brake function is a serious safety concern. A recall is more comprehensive and widely published than a mere service campaign, and owners don’t have to wait for a problem to happen before qualifying for the repair. Besides that, unlike extended warranties, recalls don’t expire and are performed proactively.
    If you have a safety complaint—a condition you believe could cause death or injury—contact the NHTSA atwww.safercar.orgor by phone at 888-327-4236. You can bring questions and complaints about Toyota vehicles directly to the company by calling 888-270-9371.
    Gordon Hard and Seung Min Yu

NHTSA opens probe into brake failures of Toyota Camry hybrid sedans - Los Angeles Times

2. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had the brake problem out of warranty, and Toyota readily agreed to eat part of the cost. Looks like I'll have to see if they'll issue an additional refund for the rest...

FYI - post about my prior refund (including description of ABS failure symptoms) -
    Toyota Customer Relations is my Hero! | PriusChat

#2 ggood, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Could or has this reared it's ugly head in any Prius? I thought I saw a thread recently where someone had a braking issue on their Prius.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A few years ago, I bought a used 07 TCH that was out of warranty only to discover about two weeks later it had the brake accumulator problem. Before even making the first payment, I traded it in at another dealer for the same price I paid. Lucky? Oh hells yeah. :whistle:

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    'o8 hycam for 5 years, zero issues.

6. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, be waiting for the mail. Our 2007 CH has over 110,000 miles now. None of these issues yet thankfully.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just got a recall on the gen II brake fluid reservoir. something about the screen between the two sides. next oil service i guess.