1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumers apparently missed the Memo on Decreasing Demand

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Small Cars Crush Trucks Online in Q2, According to Autobytel Purchase Request Data; Online Purchase Requests Fall 34% for the F-150, 43% for Tundra and Silverado; Toyota Camry, Yaris and Honda Civic All Post Big Gains

"Fuel Sippers" % change Q1-Q2

Toyota ECHO/Yaris +835%
    Ford Escape Hybrid +110%
    Toyota Prius +73%
    Ford Focus +72%
    Honda Civic +20%
    Chevrolet Cobalt +19%

"Gas Guzzlers" % change Q1-Q2

Jeep Grand Cherokee -58%
    Dodge Ram -47%
    Ford F-150 -40%
    Hummer H3 -39%
    Dodge Charger -29%
    Chrysler 300 -13%

The 10 Vehicles Autobytel Shoppers Requested Most in Q2 2006

1. Toyota Camry
    2. Honda Civic
    3. Honda Accord
    4. Honda Odyssey
    5. Toyota Corolla
    6. MINI Cooper
    7. Toyota RAV4
    8. Toyota Yaris
    9. Toyota Prius
    10. Toyota Sienna

Other Notes:

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid -- Camry reliability + hybrid sensibility = big-time popularity among Autobytel's fuel-focused shoppers.

2006 Ford Escape Hybrid -- Incentives, room and fuel economy make this a very popular choice among Autobytel shoppers, as requests rose 47% compared to last year.

The Bottom Line:

"It comes as no surprise that the pinch consumers are feeling at the pump is playing out with dramatic increases in the popularity of small cars, but one thing that caught us by surprise was just how steep the drop-off in demand for trucks was in Q2," said Autobytel editor Brian Chee. "Trucks took a hit offline as well, of course, but it wasn't nearly as pronounced, which is typical: online car buyers often lead the trends that become the big industry-wide headlines, which is why our Consumer Choice reports are worth watching."

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did anyone notice how many of these cars are from the Big Three?

Did anyone notice how many of these cars are from the Big Three?

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 24 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]291493[/snapback]</div>
    Yes. That's why we have two Toyotas in the garage.

4. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever since my woes with GM & Chrysler, and wonderful 4yr experience with the Toyota Tercel...

Tercel, Corolla, Sienna, Prius.

Plus that I've convinced so many people away from the big 3. One guy really wanted the Dodge Caravan, and I said, oh boy, transmission that will give after warranty.
    We actually argued that fact, and sure enough, 3yrs + 2 months later, boom.

Toyota rocks!

5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Too bad it won't last. I'm willing to bet consumers are going to notice the massive drop in fuel and oil prices and will clamor for their SUVs and full-size pickups again. Then, next summer we'll see high fuel prices just like this summer and the crying will start all over again.

6. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Sep 13 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]319233[/snapback]</div>
    heh, low prices? They're still well above 2 around here. Yea, they dropped a bit, but still relatively high.

7. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boxster...WRX...Prius? @ Sep 13 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]319233[/snapback]</div>
    May take a while this time around, though. Watching pump prices go up and down (mostly up) like a roller coaster is a relatively new (and startling) phenomenon that could force American consumers to think quite a bit harder about going for that gas-guzzling SUV or full-size pickup, even when gas prices are relatively low.

What's ironic is that the oil companies, in their zeal to maximize profits (made possible by a completely unregulated market), may have done irrepairable damage to the domestic auto industry, which has staked its existance on the sales of the very vehicles that allow the oil companies to make the outrageous profits...

8. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The big three are morons, if you ask me. every company out there basically had to make a decision at one point: go for the "bigger is better" attitude, or improve fuel economy. while bigger was better (in terms of sales) for a while, We've known for years that gas prices were gonna go up at some point. It's really too bad that the big three couldn't hedge their bets and have an exit strategy planned out for rolling out more FE vehicles.

9. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Sep 13 2006, 09:43 PM) [snapback]319273[/snapback]</div>
    Ironic, yes. It's a correction that's long overdue! Fuel prices here are still dirt cheap even at $3 compared to the rest of the world. This country is spoiled rotten, and the Big Three are the canary in the coal mine.

10. VaPrius

VaPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You know, this is starting to make sense. Think about it. The price of oil drops and we are happy, the price of oil rises and we are depressed. We are now manic-depressive. Our emotions need to be regulated! The drug companies are behind all of the oil nonsense.

11. rpiereck

rpiereck Regenerator

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One thing I am noticing throughout the US as I drive from California to Virginia is the mount of trucks just sitting in dealerships (GM, Ford, Toyota, Nissan...) with signs offering $3500+ down... when I bought my Prius the salesman mentioned that it had been over 8 months since he had sold a Sequoia, and that two years ago he was selling one or two a month. Sing of the times!

12. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have the good fortune to be home when most people are at work, and often I take my dog for a walk around 9 or 10 in the morning, after most people have left. I have noticed that more and more big trucks and SUV's are staying home in the driveway or parked on the street as people are either ride sharing, biking, etc. to cut down on their vehicle use.