1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumption Screen - 0 MPG, 15 kW regenerated

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mhellmer, Nov 14, 2006.

1. mhellmer

mhellmer New Member

This seems like a info display bug to me.

Normal rush hour commute I do every day, normal conditions
    15 minutes since power on.
    Outside temp 66 degress, so heater is probably on
    Lights on
    Going up hill on freeway slow and go 5-15 MPH
    - Normally my Prius selects EV at this point and inst MPG is pegged at 99
    - But... Energy screen shows all arrows from battery to wheels and inst MPG wandering between 40-80
    - Battery has almost full charge (only one empty slot) (that's a hint, I guess, as normally it would be more midband so the battery is maintaining charge)

Okay, so I've seen another thread where this might be explained by the fact that elec demand was high - heater and lights so the ICE is needed to keep the battery charged, although I did not notice that flow on the Energy display.

However, here is the weird part. The Consumption screen on the next update showed 0 MPG and 15 W zregenerated for one the 5 minute interval. At no time was I stopped for more than a few seconds as this was slow and go traffic, not stop and go. Why the 0 MPG??? Also since this was an up hill crawl not too much braking or coasting. Where did those 15 W come from?

2. paul.villasenor

paul.villasenor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, at least it's not just me. I was on my way to work this morning, and I hit traffic, but never came to a complete stop for more than a few seconds. My display was as shown in the pic. Anyone have a clue as to what's going on?

[attachmentid=5791]

Attached Files:

3. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

happened to me in the mountains once-- I was going uphill and managed to regenerate the same thing. mines a second generation-- 2005

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yep i got it on my 06 too. i think it happens when no gas is used. on my 2004, the consumption screen would have read 99.9

5. ohm86

ohm86 New Member

I also get this sometimes on my '06 ... I always figured it was because I travelled less than a mile in that 5-minute interval. But after reading the above posts, where people seem to have been covering more distance than that, I am scratching my head. Next time I get the "invisible" bar, I will try to note the driving conditions.

6. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same thing happened to me today ... I was all excited, thinking that I would have a bar up at 100 MPG after driving in rush hour for 5 minutes without ever using the ICE ... went about 1 mile.

Ended up with no bar instaed of a monster bar ... kind of bummed me out. ;)

7. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Mar 26 2007, 09:30 PM) [snapback]412626[/snapback]</div>
    I seem to remember a discussion about this a couple of months after the 2006's came out. It is an odd "feature" (bug) in the then new 2006 display that has the bar look like 0 when it should be 99+ MPG in the case of 5 miutes on electric with no gas used. I think the conclusion was that only the bar graph was affected - not the overall MPG number at the bottom of the screen. I forgot all about it as I have never had the luck to have a 5 minute response like that.

If you want to look for it, it was in the December 2005 to Feb 2006 time range as near as I can remember. I took a quick look and couldn't find it.

- Tom