1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumption screen error???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Joyce, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Joyce

Joyce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just reached 1500 miles on my #7. Today, driving home from work (non-highway, less than 30 minutes) I changed to the consumption screen, and noticed that during my 1st 5 minutes, I was running at 100% according to the screen. I highly doubted that, but I continued to drive. Upon another viewing on that screen, the 0-5 minutes was a bit above 50 MPG, where I had thought it should be. Although that was correct, the 5-10minute bar was then showing 100%. Again, I continued driving, and looked again. This time 0-5 min was still a bit above 50 MPG, as was 5-10, but now 10-15 was showing 100%.

I can't see how my 1st 5 minutes could change, or any 5 minutes could change.

Also, the other day, I was driving and changed from the consumption to energy screen. My bar was showing 100%, although I was using gas (orange arrows). This happened a few times, but only when my ride started.

Should I be going back to the dealer?

Thanks,

Joyce

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That sounds completely normal.

For the first question, the consumption screen. the indications on the bottom (5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30) indicate number of minutes previously. so as you drive, the first 5 minute bar you get will progressively "shift" to the left as new 5 minute bars are generated. So 15 minutes into the drive, the first 5 minutes will be the farthest to the left, followed by the second 5 minutes and then the last 5 mintues. so you could think of the axis labels as indicating "xx minutes ago". (If i happened to missunderstand your post and it's not working this way, please correct me).

The second question: It's completely possible to get 100 MPG (actually 99.9 MPG) bars when using gas. of course, you can't be flooring it. You can think of it like this: if the car is just sipping gas but you're going fast enough, you could be getting something like 120 MPG. this would, naturally, show up as a 100 MPG bar, since the readout doesn't go any higher. Of course, our natural instinct is to see that bar and think we're actually getting infinite mileage. i wish this was true!

So for your final question, i'd say the car is doing exactly what it is supposed to be doing. no need to take it to the dealer!

3. Joyce

Joyce Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Sep 14 2006, 04:46 PM) [snapback]319709[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks...My husband and I went out tonight, and noticed that the bars do move. I guess when I drive alone I keep my eyes too much on the road ;) .

Another thing, after going out to dinner we started home. At the first few red lights, while stopped, the battery had 6 blue bars, and the yellow arrows were going from the battery to the front wheels...which were not moving. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joyce @ Sep 14 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]319767[/snapback]</div>
    just step on the brake a little harder.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Like galaxee said, brake a little harder. When at a stop or near stop (not putting any pressure on the gas pedal) the car will send some power to the electric motor to simulate the creep "feature" of most cars. you know, the feature that allows you to take your foot off the brake and creep forward without touching the gas. If you aren't braking hard enough, the car doesn't really get the signal that it shouldn't be creeping.