1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumption Screen Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by taco1231, Sep 17, 2008.

1. taco1231

taco1231 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey All,
    I'm getting some really weird readings on my consumption screen. The yellow bars don't appear and I just see the battery recharge logos. Has anyone ever encountered this before? I'm planning on taking my car in (its only 1.5 months old). Its happened to me on 3 separate occasions. I've attached some bad cell phone photos (i think). Please let me know if you've had this happen.

Thanks.
    0911080935a.jpg

0911080939a.jpg

0911080951a.jpg

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This will happen when the vehicle has been stopped for more than 5 minutes. The mpg doesn't have a reading in those 5 minutes, so you will have a blank bar. Nothing to worry about.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a feature, not a bug :) , on the 2006 and later Prius.
    We see 100 mpg bar during 5 min stealth driving on the 2004-2005 Prius.

Ken@Japan

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i get this in mu 2005 model prius to!? only then in l/km

5. Fraser

Fraser New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We've had a single blank five-minute position on a few occasions, but never three; but we haven't needed to stand still for that long. We've also had a 30-minute span of full bars at 99.9, but that was basically coasting downhill in Colorado. I don't see any reason to take the car to a shop.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's completely normal, just as the previous posters have stated.

Tom

7. taco1231

taco1231 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all the responses. I should clarify that I was not at a stand still for 5 minutes when these pictures were taken. I was actually on the freeway in bumper to bumper traffic moving at 10mph. Is that still normal?

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't have any warning lights on, don't worry. 52 mpg indicated on your MFD is further evidence that all is well. Also note that many dealers' service depts will charge you for an hour of labor in the event that no problem is found (to discourage no-trouble-found complaints).

9. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thats the most common place people see it. The car used only electric to inch ahead, and never started the ICE during that 5 minute period. The computer gets confused by moving some distance but using 0 fuel. Whatever the calculation is its making internally this ends up as 0 mpg instead of infinite mpg. One guess people have made is that its natively calculating L/km, and then converting. 1/(0L/X km) = divide by 0 error.

Nothing to worry about, and does not appear to affect the accuracy of the MFD average MPG number. Its believed that uses the total distance and total gallons, and doesn't care about the 5 minute display.

Rob

10. ddan

ddan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Had a similar problem today. It occurred while traveling (all EV during this 5 minute stretch... mostly downhill) on expressway while doing 15-20 mph. It was 15 minutes into my commute. Have driven under similar conditions and speed many times in same part of highway without this finding. Interesting quirk. We'll see if it becomes more of an issue.

Attached Files:

• wr.jpeg
      wr.jpeg
      File size:
      106.3 KB
      Views:
  11. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a similar pattern on the consumption screen as well. I was crawling along at about 4mph on a clogged 35mph street with slight ups and downs but generally up. I actually did a double-take when I noticed two consecutive blank columns; the first had two regen leaves and the second had one leaf. I'm still trying to figure out how I got so much regen with so little movement.