1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

consumption screen question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jfarmakis, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jfarmakis

jfarmakis New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    could someone explain a few things about this screen? I know it's a historical analysis of data over a 30 min period. 1st, what do the 'cars' mean in each bar on the graph? 2nd, does the mpg onn that screen represent a good guage of actual mpg? (as long as the milage is reset on each fillup). '08 Prius is new and I'm still on my 1st tank of gas.

Thanks

Jim

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a key at the top left. Each car represents 50Wh regenerated w/ braking.
    Yes, the displayed mpg is fairly accurate. since you have an '08 that is a cumulative MPG from the last time someone pushed the 'Reset' button...thus if you want it to display each individual tank average you need to push reset every time you fill up.

3. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There will be other posters that can better answer you question. Welcome to PC. You're question is a common one for new Prius owners, and along with some of the other questions, brings something to my attention.
    Many of us old-timers that have tracked our MPG over the years may assume that everyone has the same understanding of what exactly MPG is and what it does and does not represent or imply. It's a term everyone knows and uses but it's actual usefulness and purpose may be misconstrued on occasion.

So I thought that I would make an attempt at trying to clarify the uses of the term. Please feel free to critisize, add to or ignore the post entirely.

O.K. MPG 101

Raw definition - Miles(traveled) Per Gallons(used to travel those miles) Or (Miles driven) divIded by (Gallons used).

Meaningful definition - How many miles did I average for each gallon of gas used; or how much gas do I use to go a certain number of miles. MPG is a ratio, a number, that represents your fuel efficiency under different circumstances.

MPG can vary from 0(zer0) when idling at a light, to infinity(99.9) on you MFD, when coaqsting down an incline and the ICE(internal combustion engine) is not using fuel.

MPG is only meaningful when associated with a time interval, such as;
    MPG per Tank
    MPG on my Vacation
    MPG on my city commute.
    MPG if I try hypermiling.
    MPG w different fuels, tires tire pressures, drivers (I weigh over 100lbs more than my wife), etc.
    Lifetime MPG for vehicle

Next, in order for comparasions of MPG to be meaningful between cars or drivers or even the same car and driver but different circumstances, there must be something in common. For example, probably the most common is MPG per tank. But even this can be misleading unless the average is tracked over 10 fill-ups or more due to the bladder(another topic). And it is really only meaningful to you since it is doubtful that any other member on PC has exactly the same set of driving conditions and citcumstances that you have.

While MPG comparasions between cars, drivers, fuels, conditions, etc, may be misleading unless conducted under extremely controlled conditions, there is a wealth of knowledge to be learned from it's relative changes when seemingly only a single condition is changed. Such as, increaseing tire pressure and my average MPG per tank seems to be better. And if that works for one PC member, it maY work for others. If I, here in metro Atlanta, switch brands or grades of fuel and experience an improvement in MPG. you may not get the same result in Boulder. Here, most all brands come though a common pipeline. I assume Boulders comes by tanker. Different sources.

This post is in no way meant to dis the hypermilers, I have done it myself myself once in awhile over the years. Almost killed myself and family comes down of Lookout Mountain in TN, and forgot the Fiesta had a locking sterring wheel. What an idiot!

The points that I am trying to make are:

1. MPG can vary widely. Some of which is under your control and some is not.

2. MPG needs to be associated with a time frame to be meaningful. And keeping records for different time frames are also independently meaningful in trying different things to reduce your fuel consumption. I am averaging X MPG per tank. I got X MPG on our vacation. I get X MPG in city driving. I get better MPG on this route.

3. Tracking MPG is mostly relative only to you, your car, the fuel you use and your particular driving conditions. While comparing the changes in your MPG under different conditions and circumstances is meaningful when shared between members, the actual MPG that one or another member may experience may not be relative to you.

4. Finally, unless you are or want to be a hypermiler, relax and enjoy your car. Keep a log if you want to be able to compare changes in your driving habits, such as learning to "pulse and glide", or other changes that may affect your MPG. I personally plan to log reset at each fillup. You need to do what work for you. The Prius does a real good job on it own, is what I understand. Sit back and let it do the work for you.

4. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Evan's response summarized the situation nicely ... and concisely! One thing I have reverted to since the year I have owned my 2008 Prius is to make a habit of recording the MPG and miles driven since the last fill-up, as shown on the Consumption screen. Dividing the miles driven by the MPG will give you the gallons of fuel consumed since the last fuel stop (assuming the screen was reset). So you will know how much fuel, at a minimum, you should be able to pump aboard. That may or may not result in the tank being filled to capacity, depending on the amount pumped at the prior fuel stop.
    Keeping a running log of all your cumulative fuel consumption is also useful for computing lifetime fuel efficiency, relative to total vehicle mileage.

5. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    2 times now I have not hit reset and yet the mileage number dropped all the way back to O on it's own. It seemed to happen around 342 miles. But the MPG did not seem to reset, (it did not change as wildly as it does when you actually hit reset - due to being based on less miles). Is there a limit to the maximum number of miles this displays?

6. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Certainly not as low as 342 miles!
    However, I have come across another way the MPG resets without touching it, that is if you use Scangauge device and its Fillup function. This seems to reset my MFD screen (so I have to remember to write the numbers down beforehand!)

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Miles reset when you refuel. MPG requires a manual reset by pushing the screen button.

Tom

8. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Natural followup to that question is "how do I make use/sense of that reading?" Obviously the more regenerated the better. But what is 50Wh with respect to the battery capacity? Is that i.e. equivalent to 10% of the SoC? What should I look for for optimal efficiency? High MPG with low regen? Low MPG with high regen? Or is that reading just there for pure curiosity?

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You want high MPGs with as little regen as possible. The less you use the traction battery, the better, because using it unavoidably incurs losses.

The ancient wisdom of maximum fuel economy still holds: "drive as though you had no brakes". Of course these days that tends to maximize road rage, so it must be applied judiciously.

10. westy72658

westy72658 Jim Coleman Toyota in Bethesda, Maryland

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am glad I read this! I always thought that at a fill up that miles and MPG both reset automatically when I filled my tank. I had an 04 and recently traded to an 08.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, the behavior has changed since your 04.

Tom