1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

consumption screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by raysullivan, Jun 14, 2005.

1. raysullivan

raysullivan New Member

I'm curious:

Up here in the great white north, my little prius records fuel consumption in L/100 Km.

So in the consumption screen the "bars" range from a high of 10 L/100km, to a low of zero. The lower the bar, the better the mileage, right down to zero when the ICE shuts off.

How's that work in US MPG?

High MPG numbers are good, low numbers are bad - but what does it do to indicate the ICE is off? register infinity?

2. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My consumption screen has a range of from 0 MPG to a maximum of 100 MPG. When coasting with the ICE off it registers 100MPG. The historical mileage is shown in 5 minute increments.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

When dealing with 0's in division, the 0 can be on the numerator, which is 0, or in the denominator, which is not legal. However, when the denominator aproaches 0 for any positive number in the numerator, the results approach infinity. Therefore, one could consider x/0 as infinity.
    This is what the Prius does, though it limits infinity to its max display limits of 99 or 99.9.

4. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Glad to see you hosers have Prii up there. They're good for making trips to Elsinore! Just watch out for Brewmaster Smith!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It'll show a full bar. It's the same for km/L but that goes from 0 to 40.

6. raysullivan

raysullivan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa\";p=\"98329)</div>
    That's interesting. 100MPG is about 2.4 L/100km. That's what my screen registers when the ICE is essentially idling for the AC but the drive power ic coming from the HSD. I'm able to distinguish between that and actual ICE shutdown.

I guess the metric screen allows for a bit more accuracy at very low consumption levels.

On the flip side, when my car isn't moving but the ICE is running it shows 99 L/100km - wreaks havoc with my averages!

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    quite. One of the reason why I want the EV mod is so that I can shut off the engine while waiting to turn to traffic and let it warm up when I'm actually in traffic. Countless times have I pulled out of a parking lot, waiting to turn onto a road and had the engine running at 99.9 :p

8. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(raysullivan\";p=\"98356)</div>
    I agree L/100km is good for monitoring very low consumption and fuel cut mode.

But when it comes to monitoring improvement, the MPG or the km/L have the edge. The advantage is the extra digit of precision which allows you to see more subtle differences in the efficiency you're achieving. For eg., 4.1 L/100km -> 4.0 L/100km is only 1 division but in MPG, it is 57.4 MPG -> 58.8 MPG, you can see 14 divisions!

How I wish Toyota could add a switch to toggle between the displays.

Vincent

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DanMan, you just brought back a traumatic memory of my calculus classes in college! Eek!

10. 8AA

8AA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Kind of off the subject, but the AC can operate with the ICE completely shutdown.

11. coloradospringsprius

It does. On a recent long mountain descent, I got 13 consecutive 99.9-mpg screens. But the car was really only coasting for the first 10 or 15 minutes. When the road started to flatten out, I was using some gas - just not enough to drop the mileage below 99.9. Mpg junkie that I am, it would have been nice to know what the real mileage was.

(Photo of first six bars at: http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=4905 )