1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Consumption shows 100 MPG for 20 minutes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ChrisA, Jul 9, 2006.

1. ChrisA

ChrisA New Member

Has anyone ever seen an issue where the Consumption screen on the MFD shows 100 MPG for an extended period of time (four 5 minute periods back to back) when you know you were not getting a 100 MPG?

I was initially on the Navigation screen and switched over to the Consumption screen when I noticed the issue. Once I was on the consumption screen (and stayed there), it behaved correctly.

During the timeframe when the incorrect information was displayed, the car was in Park for about 10 minutes.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

2. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChrisA @ Jul 9 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]283313[/snapback]</div>
    Well the way it works makes it possible to get 100MPG displayed on 2 bars if you are parked for about 10 min.

Here's the scenerio.

15 seconds after a bar comes up you pull into your parking place on battery and stop. You sit there for another 9 minutes and 30 seconds before carefully pulling off without starting the ICE.

4 minutes 45 seconds after you parked a 100mpg bar would appear because you got over 100mpg for the 1/10 of a mile before you parked and didn't move again during that 5 min period. 15 seconds after you pulled out of your parking spot another 100mpg bar would appear because you ran on battery only for the 15 seconds you were moving during the 5 minutes recorded.

As for getting 4 you are on your own. Were you halfway down a mountain when you stopped? :)

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have a clock that chimes the time every hour and once for the half-hour. The other night, I got home late and watched some television. After hearing three consecutive single-chimes, I went to bed.

What time was it?

Sorry, I couldn't resist; jburns' reply reminded me of that riddle. It's sort of a stretch, but very plausible. I have noticed similar odd things such as that. The only part that's odd is that you say the car was in park for ten minutes. In that case, at least one of the bars should have been "0". Basically a void. I've stopped and chatted with people for ten minutes or more and when I get back in the car, there are voids where the car was just sitting. No mileage traveled, no gas consumed, division by zero, no bar.

4. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 9 2006, 05:39 PM) [snapback]283493[/snapback]</div>
    You got home around 12:30AM and went to bed at 1:30AM

I have no useful information to add to this topic other than if you ever get bars like that you need to take a picture. :)

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChrisA @ Jul 9 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]283313[/snapback]</div>
    I've seen that behavior in the drive-up line at a fast food (well maybe not so fast) line.

Bob Wilson

6. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jul 9 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]283434[/snapback]</div>
    As far as for the other 2 bars, maybe you got the first two before you stopped...and then jburns scenario above took place. I have seen similar things on mine (as well as the voids), but it doesn't have anything to do with which screen I am viewing at the time.

7. tacomel

tacomel New Member

I saw an interesting one yesterday going through a drive-thru that's kind of the opposite of this. I had a 0 MPG bar with one 50 Wh regeneration leaf-car in it. Just a leaf-car on a completely black background. It's odd that this wouldn't register 100 MPG but still give me regeneration. (For this 5 minutes I stop-and-go coasted down a slight hill from the ordering station to the pick-up window during very slow service.)

8. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taco Mel @ Jul 9 2006, 07:31 PM) [snapback]283603[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, that is pretty common. If the ICE has cycled at all, yet you do not move far enough for the car to register movement. The leaf shows the charge, but since you did not move far enough or not at all, your MPG is 0 (or at least negligable). Try sitting in your car with the AC on, until the ICE has to come on to support the battery...you will see this exact condition.

9. ChrisA

ChrisA New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ Jul 9 2006, 02:10 PM) [snapback]283434[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the possible causes. I see the logic on getting 2 in that state, but not sure about number 3 and 4. Good suggestion about taking a picture if happens again. Easier to believe the improbable if there is photos..... (Kind of like flying saucers ) :)