1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Contemplating 2005 Prius Purchase

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Cecil Drinker, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Cecil Drinker

Cecil Drinker New Member

I try again after system crash and understand the problems of running a site as complex as this one.

We downsized from a VW Golf and a Dodge Caravan to a 2001 Prius and have been very pleased with it. We did not find differences in steering much of a problem. After getting used to the electric steering's greater sensitivity, highway wander (poor tracking) at high speeds has not concerned us. We have taken a number of long trips from Victoria to San Francisco and done much mountain driving and the car's performance has been great.

Ther are times, however,when we need to carry things that will not fit in, and also do not want to wait until the warrenty on the battery and electronic control units expires. It seems timely to go to a 2005 model while the value of ours is still fairly high.

We have a friend in australia who has a 2004 and tells us some disturbing things. At higher speeds he has to cope constantly with poor lane tracking on freeways. Another concern is poor vision directly to the rear and to the right rear quarter for lane passing. This is mostly due to the rear hatch window angle and the median bar that runs accross it at just the wrong place. We have only had a short drive here and found rear vision poor compared to our 2001.

Enough said. I'd welcome constructive comments, and would like to be assured that the steering wander problem is fully correctible.

Cecil D.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One gets accustomed to the wander and the rear view. The rear view can be helped by adjusting both of the exterior mirrors outward so that one cannot see the sides of the Prius in either mirror.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    like Richard said, you will get use to the split rear view. It helps block headlights at night if there's a bonus to it =). As much as I promote shoulder checking before changing lanes or turning, adjusting the mirrors can greatly assist in that and reduce blindspots at the same time. If you're reversing, do a 360° check before backing up to ensure your blindspots are clear.

Anyway, I digress. I have taken the Prius up to 100-110km/h constant speed and had no problems. Granted, there were trees on either side and not open fields so wind was not a factor. If in doubt, you can always swap the stock tyres for GoodYear Assurance tyres (either one will do but note the TripleTred does not come with the Prius' stock specifications) or Michelin HydroEdge as recommended by fellow PriusChatters.

The cargo versatility is great on the current generation. Along with almost flat rear folding seats, you get underfloor and side storage compartments in the trunk, both front seats fully recline so you can rest with your feet stretched in the back seat or sleep in the car =)

4. dgstan

dgstan Member

I just purchased a new Prius two days ago. We experienced torrential rains on the 80 mile drive home from the dealer. The car handled like a dream at highway speeds. Since then, I've had the car up to 80 MPH and have not sensed any of the wander or instability others have mentioned.

My previous car was an Infiniti G35 Coupe and it rode on rails. The Prius isn't quite that tight, but I have no complaints.

Also, I too was concerned about the visibility issues I'd seen mentioned. Compared to the G35, I can see the entire road! I don't believe the visibility is a problem. Unless you're coming out of a minivan or SUV, I don't think you'll have any concerns.

DGStan

5. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Almost all of my miles on my Prius are from highway driving, and while I noticed the wandering at first, after a few weeks I had compensated. I've taken several long freeway trips as well and have similarly had no problems at all.

6. Hatfield

Hatfield New Member

On a positive note, as a result of having skinny tires, the Prius is not very prone to hydroplaning, something I noticed with all the rain we've had lately. The Prius is an eccentric car, but as others have pointed out, you get used to the eccentricities pretty quickly.

As for the rear corner visibility, on the advice of someone on this board, I went to the local auto parts store and bought a couple little convex "wedge" mirrors and attached them to the rearview mirrors. Made a big difference IMHO.