1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Contemplating a plug in

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by KittenRD, Dec 22, 2015.

1. KittenRD

KittenRD New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My husband and I come from a prius family! We are planning on upgrading our 2004 Prius to a 2014 or 2015 for our move to Costa Rica. We are trying to decide whether it makes sense to go for a plug-in since we will be using solar or go for a regular Prius. The pricing I found is the same for a new 2015 prius three vs a used 2014 Prius plug-in with 16,000 miles. I was reading the car can only run 11 miles on battery alone. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    get a regular Prius and U will be happier abroad.
    But..actually.... used PiP are at the best prices right now

3. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Prius plug in prices are taking a dump.

I got mine for $15k a few weeks ago at the time when it was valued at $18k.

Fast forward to a few days ago, I want to refinance my loan, and was told my car was worth $14k because I have low mileage. Otherwise, it is worth $13k.

Financial prudence would say always buy used at least 3 to 4 years old to take advantage of the steep depreciation in those years.

The plug in is "ok" as long as you have access to electricity, otherwise, you end like me: trying to plug in where I can find one that is not occupied and have to sit and wait the 1 and half hours to charge so I can go home.

11 miles EV mode (if you can get it) is pathetic.

I got tired of waiting for the car to charge, now I just drive in eco mode and plug it in "when ever". I no longer make an effort to look for a charge.

I just make sure I have enough charge to I can sit in traffic for EV mode.

iPhone ?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! 10-15 miles is typical, depending on weather, hills, speed, acceleration and etc.

when the juice runs out, it's slightly better than the lift back for mpg's. there is no spare tyre in the plug in, some of us keep one in the hatch, or behind the front seat.

what will you be doing in costa rica, my daughter is going december 26th, and would like to find work and stay there.:cool:

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gee that's a tough one.
    Keep in mind the PiP has no spare tire and a bit less storage space.
    Normally I would not suggest PiP but you have (off-grid?) solar.
    It does give you emergency flexbility if gaso is unavailable etc.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  6. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just bought a 2012 PiP Advanced for $16700... base ones are even cheaper... I say go for it... but only if you can get a comparable price between regular/PiP.. In my experience, the PiP Advanced is actually being priced cheaper than a comparably equipped Prius 5 with ATP.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  7. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have any idea what your driving pattern will be? Contrary to Sillylilwabbit's "11 miles EV mode if you can get it is pathetic," this can be a benefit! In my case most trips are short so 75% electric is normal. I have gone as much as 1,700 miles on one tank of gas and go about 3 months between fill ups.

8. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Costa Rica... you need a 4x4. Get a Hilux diesel, Hyundai Tucson diesel, or Mitsubishi ASX diesel, preferably with a snorkel.

Roads in Costa Rica are garbage, with many being blocked by rivers that must be forded.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    where's the awd when you need it?:cool:

10. minnyprius

minnyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Holy crap, I'm in love with this thing! I highly recommend the PiP if you can find one that is competitively priced... I just drove 110 miles around town... Started with a full charge, after 22 miles, was at 77 mpg, ended the night at 59. Lots of freeway.

11. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    See below:

[​IMG]

iPhone ?

12. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Probably you will be driving mostly non freeways in CR, so either EV mode or hybrid mode will both work well in slower roads. You can literally drive all day in Hybrid mode. ( always taking advantage downhill portions, to charge. ) I just returned from a short ride, 15 miles with 5 miles left on the car, when I got home my MPG WAS 125. Naturally EV Mode is infinite mpg.