1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continual whirring/click noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by trillium, Jul 24, 2006.

1. trillium

trillium New Member

Today (just over 1k miles) I noticed a new noise: a repeated whirring, then click while the ICE was running. It sounded like it was coming from under the hood, somewhere behind the steering column. I checked other posts about similar noises and am not sure if it is related to building braking pressure, power steering, or what. Basically it started when I turned on the car and happened during the duration of my 30-minute drive to/from lunch. It didn't happen exclusively while turning, braking, or accelerating, as far as I could tell. The sound didn't sound bad, it was more the number of times it happened (every 20 seconds or so) that started getting me worried. Any info/ideas appreciated.

2. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Depending on the actual noise, I'm guessing it's the a/c electric compressor?

3. marjam

marjam Member

My guess is also the A/C compressor. It is very different from a traditional car and runs at different speeds depending on load. The brake booster would not run that often.

Remember that this is very different tech. from cars we are used to and there are a lot of strange sounds!

4. trillium

trillium New Member

If it was A/C compressor then it should also happen while the electric motor was running, right? But it was only while the ICE was running.

5. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you remember what it sounds like, you can test if it's the brake accumulator pump. After you finish driving, put the car in Park and pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times. That should make the pump run.

Although, since you say it only seems to run when the ICE is on, it may not be that pump, since it too can run whenever the car is on.

6. Truffles

Truffles Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. amglaca

amglaca Junior Member

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Um, you do know your new Prius has a "bumper-to-bumper" warranty, right? Ask the dealer to earn some warranty work. No need to go crazy.

To me, it sounds like the brake system compressor, and may well be a normal sound. The dealer should be able to tell.

9. amglaca

amglaca Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 15 2006, 01:05 AM) [snapback]303394[/snapback]</div>

Umm... thanks... I was planning on taking it in this or next weekend... just want to pick the brains of the folks on this forum... It does appear, IMHO, to be the brake system compressor or brake pump accumulator after digging a bit for like issues... I hear the whirring almost every (more than 95%) of the time I tap the brakes. Most of my milage is highway (of a 100 mile/day commute, 94 is hwy)...

QUESTION to any and all Prius Drivers: Is it common to hear the whirring every time you use the brakes? I do not recall that during the test drive... I do not want to go to the dealer if it is just a Prius "thing"... Thanks for your feedback!!