1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Continuous alarm when trying to select D, R or even B

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mousie, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Folks

I have the 2010 Prius with 23K on the dial and over the past few days when going to use the vehicle, at the time of applying the brake pedal and pressing start, all fine, then when we attempt to move the shift leaver to D or R we are greeted with a continuous audible alarm and the display, is telling us to shift to Park with a few other words for Parking the vehicle. No other warning lights occur but we found out the car will drive or reverse with the continuous alarm and message displayed for selecting P.

Okay, put techstream on and I have no trouble codes, at all in fact which is a good thing and I can also hear the car working as normal with P engagement, neutral etc. So the only way to correct the alarm is to turn it off and try again. Any try many times indeed! So its happened to the wife and now myself. Eventually for some reason all back to normal. I've also tried variations of brake pedal application and trying to move vehicle thinking P pin locking problem but it appears to be a signal malfunction or something simple.

Question is has this happened to any person or does anyone know where I might look to check electrical connections etc. Searching tends to get me to the audible alarm from factory reversing rather then my fault.

Advice will be muchly appreciated, Cheers Geoff

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have a '10 or '09?

Off the top of my head, I suspect a bad/dead 12 volt battery, esp. given how few miles it has.

3. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have you checked all doors and even the hatch to make sure none of them are partially open? A door/hatch that is not closed all the way would be one cause of this.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like Cwerdna said you have a low 12 volt battery. Prius does not store well as there is a fairly good 12 volt keep alive current draw for the SKS system and other ecu's. Small but steady draw on the battery just sitting there.
    It's important to keep a battery tender hooked to the car's front jump points when not driving the car for long periods to keep the 12 volt battery from getting sulphated.

It's warning you now. Next time it will leave you stranded and you'll be forced to expose the car to the dreaded jump start. :eek:

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check the doors! make sure they are all shut! Especially the rear hatch looks shut, but needs to be shut with a little more down force! This is one source for this message!

6. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi all, can I say a big thankyou to you for this information. I guess I had not considered that 12 Volt Battery status! I'll just buy a new one as a prevention measure (I thought they last forever hi hi). Yes its an 9/09 build and I up to March this year was at 19500Klms as we were in a small town of 10 thousand or so. Then over the past 6 months had moved to the city. I'll double check the doors as well to ensure.

Regards Geoff

7. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Optima makes a direct replacement for the Prius.

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This.

It happened to me early in ownership.

So my Prius is smarter than me..... | PriusChat

Might of been better if Toyota would just of made a "A Door Is Ajar" light.

Warning Triangles and telling you to put the vehicle in Park is a little vague as to what is actually happening. I thought I had a serious problem first time it happened to me.

mmmodem likes this.
  10. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And after a quick search, I just ordered the Optima Yellow Top D51 on special delivered to door at $179 AUS and we average in the mid $250. Couldn't find the specific replacement mentioned here but after looking at the specs and specials on the d51, at least you cannot go wrong with these drop in types. Basically as a first owner of these vehicles, it makes a lot of sense to use a AGM type given no high current starting load and secondly, it sits inside the cabin with you. Once you say that to any folk, then it helps make the search easier for AGM types. I noted the battery location, both the pos and neg terminals have enough play that in the event you get a reverse model (with pos and neg), they will still go in without a problem and is an advantage perhaps when in the middle of onwhere. My voltage stationary after 4 hours with interior lights on was only 12.35 (after long trip) so that is telling me its on the way down given I was expecting a float upward of 0.5volt static. Not bad after a July 09 stamp battery so is what I expected.

11. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And just to add, with the D51 it looks like I will need to increase the terminal connecters. Whereas that specific batt has the same size. Just a challenge after all,

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You have to use adapters because the D51 has different terminal sizes from the Prius battery.

13. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just an update, I see my special is for the D51T1 (small terminals) so its another option for direct replacement vs the D51 standard size. Only notices this in the billing doc given they said suitable for prius. Interesting that special will catch out the others thinking the D51 has the larger. So all good.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Where are you located, Australia?

15. Mousie

Mousie New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Brisbane Australia. I must see if I can add that to the sidebar.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, that's why. The battery you bought isn't available here and the one we have isn't available there. It's probably that the batteries are similar, but have different model numbers.

17. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They have to load the battery with electrons spinning the other direction down there.