1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ContiWinterContact TS810 Tire

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ServoScanMan, Nov 16, 2007.

1. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK,now that I know that Bridgestone does not make an exact replacement size in a LRR tire, I have searched and searched the internet. I'm looking for a LLR tire that does NOT weigh more than 17lbs. It looks like Continental makes an exact replacement tire that is 1lb lighter than the stock Goodyear Integrities. I found it on the Contential website. It is a ContiWinterContact TS810 185/65TR15 tire. Is this a low rolling resistant tire? I only have a WalMart, Sams Club and Discount Tire to use in Waco and I need tires in probably next year. Discount Tire carries Contenental so I am confindent I can get them to order the tires since I have be doing business with them since 1999. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. Thanks!

2. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ServoScanMan @ Nov 16 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]540724[/snapback]</div>
    Why the concern about weight? It is a minor factor in MPG. One way to tell if a tire is LRR is to look for "Organosilicates" as an ingredient in the rubber compound (also keeps the rubber flexible in cold weather - Winter traction, but adds cost).

I now have Nokian WR tires on my 2004 Prius. They are all-weather tires that will match most snow tires for winter (and mud) traction. They are indeed LRR tires and at this point (about 1,500 miles) appear to have improved my MPG over both the original Goodyear Integrity and my replacement tires, Michelin MXV4+ (LRR - put on at 44,500 miles and replaced at 99,500 miles) tires.

JeffD

4. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Nov 17 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]540913[/snapback]</div>
    Extra weight equates to more rotating mass which in turn takes more energy to move. If I was only doing highway commutes I probably would be as picky. The terrain here is small hills that change in elevation from 20 to 100 feet anywhere from 1/4 to 1 mile. I'll look for the "Organosilicates" ingredient as you mentioned. I don't need winter or snow tires were I live so that's not a big factor either. I will research the Nokian WR tires you have. Thanks for the response!