1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Convertible hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rschulzejr, Jul 11, 2007.

1. rschulzejr

rschulzejr New Member

For those of you with insight into Toyota's marketing and development, I am curious to learn if a convertible hybrid is being considered. I would buy one in a heartbeat. As much as I like my two Priuses (I gave my 2002 Prius to my stepdaughter when I bought my 2007), I must say that they are somewhat staid in appearance, in spite of their masterful engineering. What if you had a car with the looks of, say, a Mazda Miata, or the style of an old Alfa Romeo spyder, and the engineering of a Prius: the world would beat a path to your door.

Is there something about the hybrid electric system with regard to battery placement or risks of rollover that precludes a convertible design?

2. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well...to each his own. My brother-in-law sold his Mazda Miata because he couldn't even get his golf bag into the trunk. The Alpha Spyder is even worse, IMHO. On the other hand, Last week, I took my foursome on a trip to the golf course (four large men, four large bags) in comfort, in the Prius.
    It depends upon what you use the car for. If I wanted a "sports" car for just cruising about, I'd love to have a Prius convertible, if available. But, it would be my "alternate" mode of transportation, in most cases.

3. thehabs

thehabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Foulweather Jack @ Jul 11 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]477240[/snapback]</div>

I looked long & hard for a convertible hybrid, for months. Finally gave up & bought my 07 Prius. Still have my BMW Z3 that I putt around in on nice sunny days, but sure wish I had a convertible hybrid myself. The closest I found was the TESLA roadster, but it is all electric, and very expensive. I also would buy one in a heartbeat. I think the automakers just don't think there is enough of a market for them.

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Jul 11 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]477249[/snapback]</div>
    I'd like to see that. I can't even fit my bag in horizontally without jamming the driver.
    (And please don't tell me to leave my driver at home, either!) ;)

I basically have to put the bag in diagonally for it to work. But with two more junior bags for the twins,
    things get way too complicated. So I end up having to use the big SUV for golfing. Perhaps I'm not doing
    something right?

5. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Foulweather Jack @ Jul 11 2007, 09:50 PM) [snapback]477240[/snapback]</div>
    It would be neat but I don't know what changes it would require to the aerodynamic design and what safety changes would need to be made.

Toyota is shying away from such cars as suggested by cessation of the solara and the solara convertible. It's sad that they do so. :(

6. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jul 11 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]477287[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe, because I can put in my gold bag into the back of my 2002 Prius no problem. I have room to put in about 1-2 more. I thought that the newer Prii were slightly larger than mine??

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius depends on the roof cage quite a bit for stiffness. A
    convertible would likely have a whole lot more body flex...
    _H*

8. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Actually, convertibles have pretty bad wind drag with the top up, with the top down it's horrendous. A convertible prius would get pretty poor mileage on the highway.

9. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 11 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]477356[/snapback]</div>
    :rolleyes: Perhaps the BT Stiffening Plate would come in handy on the convertible!! :lol:

10. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(derk @ Jul 11 2007, 07:03 PM) [snapback]477249[/snapback]</div>

I have an '82 Alfa Romeo Spyder, I'm looking to convert it as soon as I have the money.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jul 12 2007, 01:34 AM) [snapback]477358[/snapback]</div>
    Toyota is still working on the force-field invisible top option. :D

Tom

12. thehabs

thehabs New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(narf @ Jul 12 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]477358[/snapback]</div>
    No doubt, but still a heckuva lot better than a conventional convertible with a 6 or 8 cyl. engine.

13. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, how topical. I was just on the horn with Steve at Autobeyours
    and he's evidently putting the finishing touches on a Prius
    convertible he's building from one that a tree fell on!
    That guy rocks. I'm probably going to take the side trip to go
    visit him on the way back from Hybridfest.
    _H*

14. imwoody36

imwoody36 the prius parts guy

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Attached Files:

15. priussoris

priussoris New Member

WOW :)
    The before and after pics are great, but looks like more than a tree fell on it