1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Converting D4R Head light bulbs to DS2 Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by michaelrider5, Feb 10, 2011.

1. michaelrider5

michaelrider5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife's '06 Prius is experiencing the common head light on/off symptom so many have complained about. This company has a replacement kit for "the problematic D4R" bulb that comes in the Prius: HighPerformanceBulbs.com - Search for part # D2HIDKit. Has anyone tried this conversion- doesn't look too expensive or difficult. If I'm going to remove the bumper anyway, I'd like to do it once, replace both headlights, and not worry about them again!:eek:
    What about an upgrade to the fog lights while I'm at it? Any ony tried something brighter/more powerful??
    Thanks!

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You'd want D2R bulbs presumably?

Note that the replacement bulbs are generic D2R bulbs, not Philips or Osram, so you may find that you have the same problem a couple years later. You can find D4R bulbs for about the same price as this kit, less than $100 a pair, and Philips seems to be the best available. It's always possible that they will last for the remainder of the car's stay in your care. The original TSB covered 04-08 Prius, so I don't think problematic HID bulbs are isolated to 06-09. Perhaps D4R has a shorter life span -- anybody know?

You don't have to remove the bumper unless you can't get the rings loose.

3. michaelrider5

michaelrider5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I heard back from an Email query I sent to Performance Bulbs.com. The D2R bulbs only fit the 04-05 Prius. The tech that answered the email suggested that the best solution was using a Phillips or Osram D4R bulb. Converting to the D2r would not really yield any better performance and you would need to modify the housing to accept the different bulb. I saw the Youtube video of the 3 minute bulb change (DRs side) and will be trying it on Monday. I'll let you know how it works out,