1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Converting Fog lights for full tiem and DRL use

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by alarmgui, Mar 14, 2006.

1. alarmgui

alarmgui New Member

I finally got around to rewiring the Fog lights on my 06 pkg 6. Since I Have HID's, standard 1/2 voltage DRL's arent' possible. It took a bit of work and it isnt for the faint of heart but works like a charm. Now to upgrade the bulbs themselves.

First, the Fog Light relay under the hood (long relay box in center of engine compartment) only has power when the park lights are on. Starting here, unbolt the 2 10mm bolts and flip the box over, remove the cover and you will see the back of the relays. Locate the Fog lamp relay (2nd from left) and cut the BROWN wire a few inches away. You will now connect this to the PURPLE of the PTC HTR 2 relay next to the fog relay. This is an IGNITION - ON feed and allows the relay to be triggered only when the Igntion is ON. Put everything back together. Now the relay can only operate when the car is ON - instead of only when the lights are on.

Next pop the bottom cover off of the steering column and access the flasher/lights plug( See knowledge base info under EV switch for details) Find the ORANGE wire (fog light switch ground - provided by low beam switch)...cut it and jump the switch side to the DARK GREEN wire in the same harness(low beam switch ground). Tape off the other cut ORANGE wire end and your done here. Put the column back together. You have now allowed the FOG switch to use a CONSTANT ground signal, unaffected by the headlight switch.

THis is the hard part, following other instructions on the site, You can either follow the directions for accessing the 2 wires given in the Knowledge BAse article about making the Fog Lights work indepndant of low beams or do it my way(easier on the back :) . Drop the lower dash panel, remove the 3 10mm nuts securing the metal plate, and then the 3 10mm bolts securing the fusebox/body ECM to the dash (top 2 bolts are machine thread, left bolt is a coarse thread into plastic). Release and unplug all of the plugs on the FRONT (side facing the driver's seat) of the fuse box. MAKE SURE THE CAR IS OFF before doing this. (this will erase the clock and MPG memory).

At this point, it will be easy to rotate the fuse box around and see the Body ECU plugs on the back top. 3 plugs. You want to unplug the one closest to the drivers side.

Locate the YELLOW and Lt. BLUE wires in pins 13 & 17 (they are caddy -corner to each other). Cut them off and connect the car sides of the wires to each other. Tape off the ECU sides and put everything back together. You have now just bypassed the Body ECU's ability to regulate Fog light usage.

So, now, when you turn the Fog light switch ON, you provide a direct ground to the Fog Light Relay under the hood which receives it power now from Ignition. The Fog lights can now be left on and will come on when the vehicle is started. They are totally unaffected by head/park light usege.

Took me about an hour but add a few hours for those not as familiar with electrical work.

2. chich2000

chich2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have any pictures of the results and/or process of doing this? Does it look like a clean job?

Thanks for taking the time to do it an posting the directions. I 've been waiting for someone to figure it out , because I tried it and I was unsuccesful.(of course I didn't know what I was doing in the first place). :D

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. alarmgui

alarmgui New Member

If someone can find the links for the EV upgrade, that will cover a few places like the dash removal and the steering column switch stuff. There is another Fog light article that has pics for thecfuse box area and the BCM plugs

Sorry no pics, did it at my work last night...I work at a Ford Dealer :) -putting alarms and video in hugh SUV's and trucks that get 12mpg ona good day...all so soem socce mom can drive 50miles to work in LA :)

Kinda Ironic huh? :rolleyes:

Scott

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A