1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Converting Gas to Electric

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by rpeeples, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a '91 Toyota truck that I bought new in '90. It has been a great little truck and has given me basically no trouble until the past few years when they stopped selling non-ethanol fuel in my area. It seems that ethanol-tainted fuel causes it to be difficult to start and rough-running. My fear is that it will eventually completely destroy the fuel system and engine, and I will be left with a useless truck. I have heard too many stories of older boat motors, lawn mowers, motorcycles, etc. ruined by ethanol-tainted fuel.

I would like to see what needs to be done to convert it to electric only. I know the range and speed would be severely limited, but at least I would still have my little truck to ride in. Do you know of anybody that has done such a thing to a truck similar to this one? Do you have any info on what the cost might be, how long it would take, where to get the parts, etc?

I thought of possibly contacting a high school or college to see if they might have some type of "vo-tech" program doing something like this. I thought I could let them work on my truck to gain the experience and in the end I would get my truck back with it converted to electric. Yes, I know this would not be a free service on my end; I would expect to have to pay "something".

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Check out the Electric Auto Association and see if there's a local chapter near you. Lots and lots of people have done conversions like this. I'm not one of them, but it's very doable, and depending on the range and performance you want, it doesn't have to be terribly expensive if you are mechanically inclined and can do the work yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Before going the EV route, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
    On an older or well used vehicle, ethanol can cause the same problems as biodiesel. They are both stronger solvents than the previous fuel. In a newer vehicle this isn't a problem. In an older one, with a lifetime of gunk built up in the fuel tank, dirt that has sat in system without problem previously starts coming loose. This, of course, can cause problems. Dumping some fuel injector cleaner into the tank might clear it up.

1 person likes this.
  4. alekska

alekska Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can find a lot of conversions here:

EV Photo Album: Our Electric Cars on the Web

They have search by make, location, components, etc. Many owners have websites with documented conversion process.

Hope this helps.

- Alex

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Keep a good filter on your truck and use good name brand gasoline and you should be OK if you drive your truck on a regular basis. Your truck is old and things are probably going on in the gas tank, E10 or not. You should have a high quality fuel filter on your fuel system

With the number of 30 year old and older cars than have been running on E10 around here without problems, It doesn't seem to be an issue.

Even the curmudgeons at Hemmings have a somewhat open mind on the subject.:D
    There is some good advice here.
    http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/naplesmarcoaaca/ethanol.pdf

None of the above is intended to discourage you from doing an electric conversion.

7. rpeeples

rpeeples Experienced Toyota Owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose I should have entered this information also....

I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, plug wires, air filter, had the oil changed, had the gas tank cleaned out with a steam cleaner, ran injector cleaner through it a couple times, had the catalytic converter checked, and more. This was done while trying to figure out what was going on with it.

It cost me over $500 to learn that it was the fuel itself. And how did I determine that? I was almost on empty and just happened to be in front of a service station with a sign that said "Non-Ethanol Gas Sold Here". I filled up and before I had gone a mile, I could tell there was a huge difference in how the engine was running. I started filling up there and at other stations that were selling non-ethanol fuel and all was ok. Suddenly these stations started selling ethanol-tainted only and once again my truck started having the same problems.

If there is a lawsuit concerning how ethanol-tainted fuel being forced upon us and how it is ruining older engines, please let me know.

Yes I know there are some benefits believed to be achieved using ethanol for some engines, but it should not be forced on people that don't want it or can't use it. :mad:

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some states have the premium gas exempt from any ethanol requirements.
    There are additives that claim to negate the ethanol effects on older engines. I believe Marine Sta-bil is one.

9. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    forget the batteries.. Use water Make it run on water. you have a truck, use the truck bed to hold the fuel cell and run it up on the existing fuel line.. Fix the Retarding of the engine and redo the Map/air/fuel ratios to burn it
    since its an older truck and not a v8 im guessing.. YOU just need to keep it at about 30-psi consistant in the fuel line and when your hauling stuff knock it up to about 50 psi. You will need to do other things also you will need to build PWm which will limit uneeded current running through the lines. and also a seperate 12 volt baTTERY in conjunction with the one under the hood.

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't recommend using premium in the tank unless the engine is designed for it, regardless... it could cause just as many problems (overheating, knocking in the engine, etc).

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do hope you're joking! :eek: Water for gas is one of the stupider scams out there. (Though sometimes I like to joke that my electric car is water powered because my electricity comes from hydroelectric.)