1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Convince me to go to visit your state

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mikewithaprius, May 3, 2011.

1. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I work a lot - like 7 days a week (I also PriusChat 7 days a week :-D), so at the end of the summer, when I have three entire weeks of nothing at all, I want to take a road trip with Wentworth (my favorite Prius) for about two weeks.

I want to see parts of the United States that I've never seen before, which is most of it. Keep in mind I'll likely be driving between 50 and 55 mph, or maybe even some hypermiling to get to the scenic spots, so sadly the West Coast is probably not on the radar. I could just fly out and rent a Prius, but that would sort of defeat the purpose of saving money and gas on the trip (though mpg per passenger could be quite good on a packed cross country flight...but I digress).

So, where should I go? Somewhere with a little natural beauty would be excellent, so if you have that nearby, let me know! It doesn't have to be anywhere über-hip on the tourist map (though it could be), I'd just like to see anywhere you consider beautiful.

Somewhere with flat highways and/or open enough highways will also play highly into my selection :D I'd like to be able to use the right lane without blocking traffic. We're gonna go for 70 mpg...

You can guess the midwest is sounding pretty good. Is I-80W/90W relatively flat? That would head out toward Chicago, where I've never been. Maybe some national parks in the middle of the country?

Looking forward to all your suggestions!

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maine is nice.

3. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The petrified forest, white sands national park, and Carlsbad caverns are amazing places. You are welcome to stay at our home, but be forewarned: the food is spicy.

4. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Florida is nice there is nothing but flat wide open highways and beautiful beaches and many attractions to visit. We also boast most of the best strip clubs in the country full of a lot of talent :)

5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Blue ridge parkway very scenic though it would not be flat by any means. If you wanna see flat go to Kansas, but there is nothing to see, and with winds you will not see 70mpg.

You could also go around Great lakes, through Michigan to avoid Chicago then around lake Superior on canadian side.. take ferry and come back through Niagara Falls.

If you never been to Fingerlakes or Adirondacks in upstate NY, Green mnts in Vermont and lake Champlain worth the trip good luck

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, there go my suggestions. The scenery seems to peter out as soon as I cross the Rockies. :rolleyes:

If flying's out, what about taking the train? The mileage is pretty good that way, too

7. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Drive the coast of Maine. The small town and villages are great, as well as the food...

8. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Suggest them anyway. I shouldn't have put in those restrictions to exclude so many wonderful people and places out there :)

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The entire coast in very scenic, although places like the dunes in Oregon and the Redwoods in Northern California are especially beautiful. BC also has a beautiful coast, with many mountain ranges of spectacular peaks.

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I would do a half-the-country counter-clockwise loop starting with the northern leg over to see the great lakes region, then out to the rockies/colorado (you gotta experience 14,000 altitude) before turning back east/south thru northern NM (see native american ruins), then through the Ozarks (cue banjo music), and finally take the Blue Ridge parkway back up north. If your running out of time, you can jump off the parkway and take the interstate system back to RI but I would try to hit some of the DC/historical stuff too.

Remember, your time frame is PEAK vacation period so expect crowds/longer times at any major destination. As a native Texan, you'd think I would be suggesting sites here but late Aug/early Sept is the wrong time to visit here or just about anywhere in the deep south. Not only due to the heat/humidity being off the chart but there is also a significant chance of major tropical weather.

11. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bwlmor!!

Come get your Wentworth some scratches and test your shocks gooooood! How U Doin?

1 person likes this.
  12. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I can't Illinois sucks and we have extremely high prices for everything. Chicago in summer once in your life i guess would be worth it. You could go to wisconsin and see our former govenors in jail with one more arriving after his trial is over.

13. Dusty Chips

Dusty Chips New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Vegas Baby! (We need the money...)

14. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here in the Mississippi Delta we have plenty of flat roads, but most are two lane so there IS only a right lane. US 61 and US 82 are four lane, but not freeways.

Blues
    Rock and Roll
    Soul Food
    Hospitality

From
    ShackUpInn.com | Home
    to
    The Alluvian
    (or be my guest)

From Walls MS to Eden MS is 156 miles and you lose 60 feet, that is flat.
    [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Walls+MS+to+Eden+MS"]Walls, MS to Eden, MS - Google Maps[/ame]
    (Drop the little man anywhere on the blue line)

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Delta"]Mississippi Delta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

15. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Massachusetts is nice because we drive so well.

16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will second the coast of Maine, but there aren't a lot of straight flat roads along the coast. OTOH, that's one of the reason I recommend it.:rockon:

I think he should drive for economy if he wants, but drive for what economy he can get on scenic fun roads instead of going for roads that will deliver max economy.

Or if California is in the cards,

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

17. jrb451

jrb451 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We and the Prius are driving out to the Outer Banks in September and plan to take in portions of the Blue Ridge Parkway on either the way out or back. Not finalized that part yet.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yosemite - see it in lots of pictures, then come see it in person. Good stuff.

19. FirstFlight

FirstFlight Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say come to Jersey but our roads suck and it's the armpit of America. I'll just smile and wave as you pass by.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hahaha. George Carlin joked about Jersey's license plate slogan being the "Garden State". He said, "sure, if you're growing smokestacks" and "Kiss her where it smells; take her to New Jersey! " :)

I would suggest California (where I'm from), but that's sadly too far for the OP. There's a lot to see and do in CA.