1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cooking recipes, great dishes, etc

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Genoz World, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK,

AS a bet, as a money saver, to brag to my friends, call it whatever you will, but I would love to hear some of your best recipes, steak, chicken, pork, spaghetti, pastas, alfredo, marsala, just about anything and everything you want to share.

I will try your recipes, so please, nothing "as a joke please". I post this to impress family and friends. Please do share. I THANK YOU!

cheers.....

2. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Alrighty. I'm game.

This is our favorite cold-weather comfort food. It's a riff on an original recipe from Marcella Hazan. Our version is less like a soup & more like a stew. If you prefer yours a little thinner, don't mash the beans. If you want a richer flavor, use more beef broth & less water. If you're feeding a family, you'll probably want to double or triple the recipe. It really doesn't make a lot.

* About 2 Tbsp olive oil
    * 2 Tbsp chopped onion
    * 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    * 3 Tbsp each chopped carrot & celery
    * 2-inch piece of Italian sausage, chopped
    * 2/3 cup canned whole tomatoes, cut up, with their juices
    * 20 oz canned cannellini beans, drained
    * 1 cup beef broth mixed with 2 cups water
    * 6 oz small pasta (Ditalini, elbows or small shells work well)
    * Salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
    * Parmesan cheese to taste

In a stock pot, saute onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes in olive oil over medium heat until onion is golden. Add carrot, celery and sausage and saute about 5 minutes, stirring. Add tomatoes and turn heat to low. Cook 10 minutes.

Add beans and cook 5 minutes, stirring well. Add broth and bring to a moderate boil. Scoop out about 1/2 c beans, mash and return to pot.

Bring liquid to a steady boil and add pasta. Stop cooking when pasta is very al dente. Let rest off the heat for about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add cheese before serving.

Something to keep in mind: recipes are only guidelines. Tweak as necessary to suit your taste. For example, if you don't like spicy, leave out the crushed red pepper. I like spicier, so I saute everything in red-pepper olive oil & use spicy italian sausage. Recently, I've started using a little less liquid to make the dish even thicker. If you're vegetarian, use vegetable stock & leave out the sausage.

3. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    THANK YOU PROCO!

Any other suggestions?

4. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Radiant

Radiant New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The recipe sounds good, however I am having a hard time cooking something suggested by a roach. :peep:

6. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My favorite recipe:

1 Prius
    1 Visa
    1 Wife

Mix wife and self in Prius. Drive to favorite restaurant choice of the day (Coraba's, Outback, Red Lobster). Read menu and request food. Salt and pepper to taste. Warm Visa card in swipe machine. Enjoy Prius drive home for desert.

Any other interaction between me and a kitchen would end in absolute disaster!
    :sick:

:D

7. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's a recipe I started to make this weekend:

Torihamu or Homemade Chicken "Ham" | Just Bento

I'm sort of cheating here because this really isn't a "favorite" recipe in that I've never made it before but it looks delicious and the chicken (once prepared) can be frozen and used in other dishes. I have the chicken breasts (bought on sale!) marinating in my fridge now. Hopefully it'll turn out well.

8. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thank you people, sorry was on vacation/hiatus/being a hermit.

anything else?

how does everyone like the chicken marsala at cheesecake?