1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cooking with Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by treet007, Jul 21, 2011.

1. treet007

treet007 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if anyone saw this news article yesterday (and I did not see any mention on the Priuschat forums):

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-cook-dinner-during-power-blackouts-cars.html

It had an interesting paragraph which I believe it related to the Prius plug-in being introduced to the masses next year:

"Toyota Motor Corp. (7203), the world’s biggest maker of gasoline- electric hybrid vehicles, is also introducing a system that will enable its Prius hybrid car to discharge as much as 1,500 watts, enough to power home appliances. Toyota said July 19 the system will be available within a year."

Does anyone have any verification on this story?

Thanks in advanced.

2. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Inverter on a cord. The inverse of the plugin charger. Common tech for the PV/RE community. Need an adapter to tap the HV/EV battery connection and some software control to protect the battery. Where to mount it and how to cool it as a 1500 W inverter will get hot is the question.

3. macphile

macphile New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I was ordering mine, the guy asked a series of questions about the car i wanted, the last being if i wanted a coke. I was like, oh, for a second, i thought you were asking if I wanted a soda machine in the car. :) I said I really could use an in-car coffeemaker. He pointed out that a nearby suv came with a cooler, lol. So we're getting there!

Reminds me of the Simpsons with homer cooking breakfast on several different appliances as he drove...into the lake.

4. Rocco42

Rocco42 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey, years ago, you could cook a roast on the intake manifold of your Chevy 230 six cylinder.

5. colinyang

colinyang New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    @@, I got to say that car would not be car anymore

6. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After losing power four times in the last 2.5 weeks around here, I am looking forward to ordering my optional inverter with the Prius GenIV PHEV in 2014/2015. The neighbors might well hate me for the two Prii in the driveway, but will envy us when we pull the car up to the house and begin plugging everything into it. Bwahahahahahaha!

OK - here's a thought... Let's say I need to charge up the GenIV PHEV inverter equipped Prius. Can I just plug the car into itself? :confused: