1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cool device for panoramic images

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by qbee42, Apr 19, 2009.

1. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I haven't used one of these, but they look really cool. I just read about them on BBC's website. It would have been great to have one last fall when we were traveling out west:

Gigapan Systems Online - System Page GigaPan Systems

Tom

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pah...don't waste your money. A spirit level on a tripod will do just as well. For that money you can by a top end tripod head with quick release and spirit level. Turn the thing yourself and the splice them together in Photoshop or just about any other software. You'll get a lot more use and joy out of a nice tripod and head and you might event take it with you.
    [​IMG]http://www.kirkphoto.com/ballheads.html

Now, those little machines are nice for things like realtors that want to take 360 images of home interiors and post them frequently trying to sell homes. But for a creative or casual photographer they're both unnecessary and probably not even very helpful.

3. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Now why did I recently purchase the widest angle lens camera I could find when I could have had more megapixels and one of these nifty machines? My trip to Yosemite at the end of the week would be the perfect proving grounds for such a device.

4. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have done stitched together photos for years, both static and VR movies. I usually shoot them by hand, but that's because I am cheap. I started with some commercial software, but now there are excellent open source versions available.

Tom

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Golf and Photography seem to have the "gadget" factor in common.

Golf is literally using a crooked stick to hit a ball into a hole, but golfers will spend hundreds of dollars on expensive high tech sticks for the outside chance that it will help them take less swings with the stick to get the ball in the hole.

And Photographers are similarly afflicted by the gadget factor. I get the idea of having better lenses, but I don't get why you might need a robotic machine to take the panorama for you.

6. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    These are used for taking panoramic photos consisting of hundreds or thousands of individual photos. If you want to stand there and do it by hand, more power to you. Try not to get confused with the two dimensional overlaps.

Tom

7. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I must be doing it wrong. I only take 6 or 8 pictures max to do a panorama.

8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    For full-circle panoramas there are often problems with skylight differences, except when the sun is straight overhead. I don't see that the software provided here can help with that. Any of you other pano-fans have any advice about that?

9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Help please. I'm failing to imagine a scene I want to see in one degree arcs AND a panorama view.

10. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You guys really don't have any imagination. If it were up to you, we would still be using wet plate photography.

The concept behind this sort of panorama is to have a wide field of view, but still be able to zoom in and see something a mile away. The technology was originally developed for use on Mars, where you want to be able to see the whole scene, but also have great detail. You can do it with very, very expensive imagers, or you can use a standard digital camera and shoot lots of photos. For use on Mars, weight is the main issue. For the rest of us, the cost of the camera is more important.

As an example, a panoramic photo using this technology was taken at the recent presidential inauguration. From this one photo, we can see the whole scene, but we can also zoom in and see individual faces.

To appreciate the concept, you have to think of interacting with a photo, not simply viewing it. You look at the whole, zoom in, pan around, zoom back out. Picture google earth, but with a single photo.

Another application is for very large format photos, but that is a more limited application.

Tom

11. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    This is just step one. The next step is the 360 degree viewing room.

12. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    No, actually that technology was developed for a much different application. You know my background ....

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, true, but the specific application for this particular device was for the mars rover. When you have...um...shall we say the Hubble Telescope in orbit but pointed the other direction, you don't really need a robotic manipulator. The stitching software is still pretty important. Or perhaps you have a more down-to-earth application in mind? As for me, I was always more of a synthetic aperture type of guy.

Tom

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thousands of photographs, taken at varying focal depths, to create a three dimensional composite? Is that what you mean by panorama? It's more like a zoomorama. :)

Hey, weren't those zoomoramics in Blade Runner, like 30 years ago? :p

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hugin batch stitcher does a good job with auto-gamma correction, as well as perspective distortions. Obviously you want to use a fixed exposure and fixed focus to minimize variation between frames. If you need more dynamic range, you can always combine multiple exposures at differing exposure settings. The resulting dynamic range can be staggering. Once again, this is another reason that an automated device is useful for these extreme images. Adding bracketed exposures multiplies the number of frames. You also want a really fast computer. Even with a speed demon, processing time is like sending out film to be developed.

Tom

16. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Generally they are not taken at varying focal depths. Think of it as a mega-mega-mega pixel photo. You have a big photo, with extreme resolution, so you can zoom in to ridiculous levels.

Tom

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So all the pictures are necessary to cover the panorama, not the depth?

Can filming be done this way?

18. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Am I going to need a bigger hard drive for this? :madgrin:

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A better way to think of it, I think, is that instead of the high resolution thing, you're getting finer perspective control. Thus, if you take a 1 degree angle of view through 360 degrees and then stitch the subsequent 360 images you'll see everything from exactly the same perspective....as you scroll across the image it'll look very smooth and natural more like a video camera doing a 360 turn.

If, OTOH, I use a 90 angle of view lens there is some distortion of perspective that may be subtle, but noticable...think of it like lens distortion. So some things may be somewhat out of perspective to the natural scene.

20. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You both are correct. There are two reasons you might want to use this approach, and the two reasons can be used separately or together:

1) High resolution - To take high resolution photos, you need a good lens and a high resolution imager (which could be digital or film). To increase the resolution of the imager, you need denser spacing of the detectors or a larger imager. A larger imager requires a bigger lens for the same effective f stop. Either way, it gets expensive to increase resolution, and there are limits to existing technology.

Photomosaic techniques break a photo into a number of smaller photos. Each individual photo is done at the full resolution of the camera. When these individual photos are stitched together (pasted edge to edge), the resulting photo is the combined resolution of the individual photos, minus any overlapping sections.

2 Perspective control - This is what Evan is describing, and it relates to wide angle and panoramic photos. When you look through a camera, you see a small piece of the world. This is the camera's field of view. By using a wide angle lens, you get a larger field of view at the expense of perspective distortion. Things start to look funny in the corners of your photo. Fish-eye lenses are an extreme example of this sort of distortion.

Doing a photomosaic allows the photographer to cover a wide field of view with a normal lens. Each photo covers a small field of view at a different angle. The photos are pasted together to make a large, wide angle or panoramic photo.

Google Earth is a good example of this sort of technology. Thousands upon thousands of photos are stitched together to cover the entire earth. You can sit back in space and view the entire earth, then zoom in and see your own house. Each photo was shot from overhead to keep the perspective consistent. The difference with Google Earth is that the camera was moved between shots, as opposed to a panorama where the camera is rotated between shots. Either way, the concept is the same. You can easily see that the same results could not be produced by taking one wide angle photo from a fixed point in space. There would be a lack of detail, you could only see one-half of the earth, and everything would be distorted as you neared the horizon.

Tom