1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Cool new use for third button on rearview mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CheepCheep, Aug 19, 2007.

1. CheepCheep

CheepCheep New Member

This is how I misspent the gorgeous weekend we had here in New England.

First, I installed Z-wave controllers for all my outside lights. Then, I installed HomeSeer 2 software and used a Z-troller to add all the Z-wave controllers to my Z-wave network. Then I installed a Wayne Dalton "Wireless Control Gateway Module", which acts as a bridge between Z-wave and the Homelink controller in the Prius.

The result is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPwLDkuRQjo

Right now I have the third button turning on my outside lights. I may decide to make the first button raise and lower BOTH garage doors and then second and third buttons turn off and on the outside lights.

Ironically, now that I have HomeSeer, I really have no need to turn on the outside lights from the car, because they turn on at dusk every night automatically. Ah, but there's no bragging rights there . . .
    :-D
    CheepCheep

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks good. Wasn't that the point of the 3 buttons? one for the garage, one for the gate and one for the exterior lights?

3. CheepCheep

CheepCheep New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Aug 19 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]498914[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but the hardware to make it happen JUST got released. At least with Z-wave it did. Perhaps X-10 gateways have been on the market a while now. do not know.

I like playing with it.

CheepCheep

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CheepCheep @ Aug 19 2007, 07:07 PM) [snapback]498918[/snapback]</div>
    ahh.. makes sense. I remember browsing the Homelink site before.. it said to go to Radioshack and get one of those controllers that work with Homelink.. and that you had to plug that into the socket and the lights (if you want to turn on the interior house lamps) into that controller etc etc...

The problem is that I never saw that product. I do have an empty slot (currently using two of the three buttons).