1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant, does it matter the type really?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Javiar, Jul 27, 2023.

1. Javiar

Javiar New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is picture of my coolant 2008 prius

Seems below the Low

Previous owner always brought it to dealer. So I assume they always put legit brand coolant in?

My question is, do I need to go get the Toyota brand coolant? Or would it be better just to go to Walmart and get whatever 50/50 I see and top it off? I dont know of mixing the two brands might effect things

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You go to Walmart and buy Asian 50/50 red It's in a blue bottle with a red label that means it's Asian red it's not racist it's just what it's called. I bought some today it's $18.94 where prestone and all the other antifreeze is sold. If you get the red it matches what's in the car already You don't want to dump orange dex cool in you're Asian red . They are two different formulas If you've got the red in there now might as well use it The green stuff or the orange stuff or the blue stuff is not going to cost you any less so what's the point? You do not have to buy it from Toyota That's why they make this and sell it at Walmart and advance Auto it meets all the codes just got the api labels on place .etc

3. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes I believe that's the brand they sell at Walmart O'Reilly's advance Auto Menards and all that That's the stuff should be 1894 a bottle at Walmart.