1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Coolant flow control valve/P1121 and a buzzing noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mercat68, Aug 15, 2016.

1. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    all. For several months now, my 2007 Prius has been making an intermittent buzzing sound from the engine bay. When I first heard it, I thought I had hit the little lines they cut into the road to let you know you've drifted over the center line - the sound is like that, a low-pitched buzzing noise. Today, the check engine light came on as it was making that noise. I put a code reader on the car and got P1121, a bad coolant flow control valve. Wondering if the sound and the faulty control valve are just coincidental or if the valve might make that noise when it fails? And if not the valve, any suggestions on what the sound might be? Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Replace the valve and see if the noise goes away. The valve failure does make a strange sound in the engine bay

3. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When my valve failed it was more like a rhythmic clunking noise. I agree, replace the valve. The error may reset itself and the CEL may go out, but that will be temporary. You probably want to do this before heating season.

If you DIY, be sure you know how to run the CHRS pump and properly bleed the radiator. I spent about $80 for the valve and $40 for coolant (optional).

4. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the answers. Definitely not a rhythmic clunking, so worried I might have a bigger problem...

5. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is dealer cost to replace valve? I have 2004 Prius at independent shop and they want $471 including tax.

I had a check engine light and code is 1121. It makes that whirring/buzz sound every 5min or so when driving, like the valve it trying to actuate, but it is not working right so it keeps trying.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    call the dealer and ask the service dept.

7. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did and they said they can't provide any pricing unless I bring the vehicle in for them to diagnose. They also told me it there would be a charge to diagnose.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Why would you need them to diagnose when you know what you want replaced? Do they diagnose your car when you go in for an oil change?

9. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not know, I don't work there. They did tell me that there are many reason for getting a code E1121, not just the valve. I'll call another dealer in the area to see what they say.

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are correct, low coolant can cause that problem.

But what I don't understand is how they won't quote you a price to replace a part you want replaced. say "let's assume it's bad and I need it replaced...how much would that cost?". Why can't they give you a straight answer to that?

11. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for wasting everyone time. I've gathered the repair cost ranges from $300-$550 depending on the shop. I have come to understand the dealer wants ~$100 to check to tell me if it needs replacement which is why they won't tell me on the phone.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not a waste of time, I just don't understand dealer logic.

If you have some tools, you can do this repair yourself pretty easily. The part will cost you around $80 online and you can do it in about 2 hours. Youtube has a few good videos on this.

rogerdpack likes this.
  13. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Thanks for the replies and good to hear that you're getting the same type of noise I'm getting. As you've found, the estimates here and elsewhere are up to $500 at dealer, but $60-$80 in parts if you do it yourself. I'm all for changing it myself, but a little scared about flushing/refilling the coolant - doesn't sound straightforward on a Prius (e.g., previous poster said, "If you DIY, be sure you know how to run the CHRS pump and properly bleed the radiator" - I don't know what either means).

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can do it the same way the dealer does it, by clamping the hoses. Very little coolant will be loss and it's very fast to complete.

You can get really good hose clamps from Sears "craftsman stuff".

15. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is my concern as well. I've replaced the 12V battery multiple times, done oil changes, diagnosed and repaired the PCM in the A/C fan controller, but this repair sounds both tedious (hard to reach) and requires the care to properly bleed the coolant. Plus it is 110F in my garage when I have time to do the work.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    P1121 doesn't affect the reliability of your car. You can put it off until it cools down before you tackle the job. Only problem it "might" give you, is your heater might not work properly in 110 degree heat.

rogerdpack likes this.
  17. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Ditto this. I put mine off for most of a year, gathering tools (MiniVCI, long nosed pliers for clamps, and small tube for the bleeder valve), waiting for good weather, and reading the procedure for bleeding. If it's time to change the coolant, might as well drain the system (add $40 for new coolant). Many DIYers report varying degrees of success with clamping the hoses--some get a real mess!

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Some of best hose clamps I've seen are at Sears. Craftsman stuff......can't really make a mess with the proper tools.

noisebeam likes this.
  19. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just to close the loop on this: The buzzing sound I heard gave way to a scraping sound, like brake pads down to nothing. Turned out the PS front wheel bearing was shot. Had that fixed and all the sounds are now gone. Still have the P1121 to deal with, but that wasn't the source of the buzzing. Thanks, again, for the all comments.

20. noisebeam

noisebeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the replacement part (1667-21020) in hand now and weather is cooling so I am now getting tools ready.
    Is this the definitive thread of the ideal replacement process:
    P1121 - Coolant Control Valve Replacement (with pics) | PriusChat

I want to minimize coolant leakage as the existing coolant is at 50k so I'd rather not replace it all.

Do I need one craftsman hose clamp tool or three? I understand the tool is just for opening closing the existing clamps in tight spaces and is not used plug the hoses. So if I want to minimze leakage I need clamps too? Or do I use the tool to add/remove clamps to plug hoses?

If I do it just right and get lucky will I need to use the coolant air bleed procedure?

Really I'd rather not replace the valve at all, but I don't like my 'Check Engine' light being blocked by code P1121